Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:50 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: SFC game strategy guidebook translations!
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:43 pm 

Best Dynamic Design,

First, thank you for an awesome site.

My name is John, an "old" Swedish FC/NES/SFC/SNES/PS1-2 player from the late 80s. I also had the privilege to work as a game-tester for Hudson Soft, Konami, Squaresoft, Virgin, Titus, Namco and Nintendo on my free time.
I decided to make a new topic here, as I frankly don't know where exactly it will fit the best, anyway ...
As I now have had a sort of a "renaissance" after years without any gameplay, I got myself a very served and in mint condition Twin Famicom and I served up my old modded test SNES which I used to test new developed, not yet released games on. I have started to collect all those "only Japan" RPGs that was only a dream to own back in the early 90s. SO now you know a little about me and my background for this.

And now to my wish, I would like to know the possibiliy to find/have some SFC RPG strategy guide translated into english? Is there anywhere this can be done by anyone?

Treasures Of Rudra (Rudra No Hihou)
Bahamuth Lagoon
Chrono Trigger
Emerald Dragon
Terranigma
Sentai Densetsu 3 ( Secret Of Mana 2)

I would really be greatful for any kind of help here. Do I need to scan the original japanese guides (1 file for each page) ?

Hope to hear form one of your guys soon, thank you.

Regards / Jabexy

Post subject: Re: SFC game strategy guidebook translations!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:22 am 

I never found any of these translated on the net, even less for the least popular games out there. I really wish there were, but you have to consider strategy guides can run 80-120 pages so it's a lot of work.

But they can be really insightful, I never thought for example an unpopular game like Granhistoria would have had two separate strategy guides published. And even Shiki Eiyuuden has a 110-page strategy guide, that I actually own, it's pretty neat :D

Cool to hear you have working experience with those game companies, that's amazing.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:18 am 

hausen wrote:
I never found any of these translated on the net, even less for the least popular games out there. I really wish there were, but you have to consider strategy guides can run 80-120 pages so it's a lot of work.

But they can be really insightful, I never thought for example an unpopular game like Granhistoria would have had two separate strategy guides published. And even Shiki Eiyuuden has a 110-page strategy guide, that I actually own, it's pretty neat :D

Cool to hear you have working experience with those game companies, that's amazing.

Hi Jabexy, your experience does sound amazing!
As Gideon Zhi is working on Granhistoria do you think you could upload scans of those guides for that game here or contact him first about getting it translated?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:26 am 

First of all.. let me say a BIG WELCOME to Dynamic-Designs Jabexy.

Okay onto the guides.. my thoughts would be for you to scan each page one by one and put them into say dropbox, then share the links here.
I know there might be a person or two on here that COULD be interested in taking on these projects. Alas.. MY talent lies in just beta testing,
writing guides for games, and pixel editing maps.

You can see here my pixel editing work on Super Shell Monster's Story 2's world map. viewtopic.php?f=57&t=704
Here's a map i created from scratch for a game currently in translation.. http://i768.photobucket.com/albums/xx32 ... hqkir0.jpg

I wish you luck with these projects.. and HOPE you will get them done some how, always nice to have more Snes guides for games.
OH! .. Skip the Chrono Trigger one, that already has an official english translation book.
EDIT: Actually it has a few for the Snes version of the game in English.. http://www.emuparadise.me/roms/search.p ... tion=scans

Spoiler! :
CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL @ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5DrStvYrMxTrHZR11paQMA/
You can find all types of RPG, JRpg, Mmo, PC, SNES, and PS1 games mini-reviewed with no voice-overs there.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:20 pm 

hausen
ObiKKa
SylarDean

Thank you Guys for this warm welcome and for your kind words and info, I do appreciate it.

And SylarDean, what person/persons do you have in mind reg guide translation?

When it comes to your work, it looks awesome!! But how do you create new maps for instance? What tools/software do you need/use?

Thanks and rgds / Jabexy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:59 am 

Jabexy wrote:
hausen
ObiKKa
SylarDean

Thank you Guys for this warm welcome and for your kind words and info, I do appreciate it.

And SylarDean, what person/persons do you have in mind reg guide translation?

When it comes to your work, it looks awesome!! But how do you create new maps for instance? What tools/software do you need/use?

Thanks and rgds / Jabexy

that particular map i created from scratch i used... http://inkarnate.com/ totally free to use also.
but there's many different free online map makers you can use.. try googling.. fantasy map makers free online.
there's some pretty good ones out there. That Super Shell Monster's Story 2 World Map was the official map that
came with the game, i just pixel edited it using.. MS Paint believe it or not.. hahaha! took a while to do that though,
AND removing all the creases from where the map was folded. There's not one particular person that comes to mind
to be honest but im sure i read another post on this forum somewhere a while ago about someone translating a free
japanese manga comic that came with a game, or something like that. I'd try making posts over at www.romhacking.net
in the help section also.. that site is mega active, surely someone there could also help. you could also maybe try posting
also at.. www.gamehacking.org .. i know they usually only hack games for cheat codes but it's worth a try, many people
use the site and might see your post for help on them.

Spoiler! :
CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL @ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5DrStvYrMxTrHZR11paQMA/
You can find all types of RPG, JRpg, Mmo, PC, SNES, and PS1 games mini-reviewed with no voice-overs there.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:46 am 

I wouldn't get too excited about guide book translations.

I've asked about manuals before and it's pretty unlikely you'd get even that except maybe particularly interesting parts like story.

Fan translators are usually very burned out by the game itself to even think of doing extra stuff. Probably not unless they had an EXTREME attachment to the game.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:45 am 
Site Admin

KingMike wrote:
Fan translators are usually very burned out by the game itself to even think of doing extra stuff. Probably not unless they had an EXTREME attachment to the game.

Agreed. The only manual I translated was for Maison Ikkoku, but it was one of my earlier projects and I love the source material.

The Devil takes notes from Lina Inverse? That sounds about right.

My projects
RHDN Community DB

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:34 am 

Hi King Mike and filler,

Thank you both for your thoughts and info reg this issue of mine. I do understand the complexity within.

And thank you , filler, for sharing your early work, looks really great. Let me ask you this then, what s the best way to learn japanese( besides moving there) good enough to enjoy and roughly understand a japanese game guide e g Bahamut Lagoon?

Thanks and kind regards

/ Jabexy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:08 am 
Site Admin

The learning Japanese part is its own big discussion, so I'll focus on the game guide part.

My advice would be to narrow down what you want to know. If there's just a passage or a page that seems like it would really help to understand, get a scan of that and post it on RHDN in the script help section. People are normally happy to translate small snippets.

Additionally, it's much easier to translate from websites. Search for the game name, and the Japanese word for "capture" which is "攻略" (kouryaku). That is a "game guide" in Japanese. Run this through Google translate. If there are specific words and phrases you want to know, or get a better translation for, try running them through Weblio.

The Devil takes notes from Lina Inverse? That sounds about right.

My projects
RHDN Community DB