Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:15 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post subject: Re: What are we to do with these translations?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:05 am 
Site Admin

Lol. Draken, no time to play games these days.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:39 am 
Site Admin

Yeah, I'm finally getting a PS4 next week myself. A friend bought a PS4 pro and is giving me his old one. Really nice of him. I'm gonna try to find some time to play Uncharted 4 finally but since those games are notoriously short. I doubt it'll hold me up on anything too much.

As for the projects, I've talked to you guys in more detail privately but I'd love to see Princess Minerva push forward as much as the next guy. Not to mention several of the other things we're working on really could be great little gems I think I'll enjoy. I'm hoping we can find a way to move things forward with a bit more haste than we have lately as well. That being said, I realize Wildbill has had his fare share of issues. I hope he'll be receptive to new ideas to make up for lost time.

As for those projects, I like the looks of Shiki Eiyuuden myself. I think it would probably be the one that would most pique my interest. However, Benkei Gaiden looks like it might be good too. I'm not the biggest fan of Strategy RPG's either but I'm getting where I'm far more tolerant of them than I used to be and will play them. Although, I do like the ones where you at least do some exploring and it isn't just battle, cut scene, battle.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:11 am 
Site Admin

taskforce wrote:
Yeah, I'm finally getting a PS4 next week myself. A friend bought a PS4 pro and is giving me his old one. Really nice of him. I'm gonna try to find some time to play Uncharted 4 finally but since those games are notoriously short. I doubt it'll hold me up on anything too much.

I'm a huge fan of Naughty Dog and the Uncharted series. I'm just waiting for the fourth installment to drop a little in price. With my backlog and lack of time, I made it a rule to never buy a game until it drops below $20, so I've probably got a while left until I can play it. I broke my rule though with FFXV. I even preordered this game... Something I've never done before. I'm certainly going to be pissed if it ends up sucking. Hahahaha /nervous laughter.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:44 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah, after Final Fantasy XII and Final Fantasy XIII, I wasn't about to order XV. Don't get me wrong. XIII had a decent story but I have yet to finish that game to this day because the combat was just so annoying. Quit on Chapter 10 and never could bring myself to finish it. And XII I couldn't even stand to play very long at all for the same reason. I do own both but I didn't buy them until i got them for $15 and $5 so no huge loss. I'll get XV too when the price as you said is $10-$20. But I will be preordering Persona 5. I'm by it like you are Final Fantasy XV. I don't preorder or pay full price often but that is an exception. Now I can just order it for PS4 instead of PS3. BTW: I got Uncharted 4 new for $30 on newegg (with free shipping), so it wasn't too much over $20. Sadly, it is now sold out or I'd provide a link.

Anyway, sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:50 am 

Power of the Hired was made by NCS/Masaya it seems... they're the makers of the recently translated Vixen 357 and Hisou Kihei XSERD. I imagine this game is very similar in terms of gameplay, there likely aren't any towns etc., it's just a series of battles. I guess the whole dump would be around 70-80 KB, judging by the first few missions.

One game I personally enjoyed a lot was Maten Densetsu. It's a very Shin Megami Tensei-like RPG with a rather unique art style to it. It's just me of course, not everyone likes these post-apocalyptic settings, mutants and all that good stuff. Even with my rather limited Japanese I found it to be quite playable (almost all important menus are in English for some reason).

Benkei Gaiden looks quite good too! Good luck with your projects, thanks for all the amazing work. :)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:30 pm 

I tried Benkei Gaiden some time ago, even without understanding what it's about as you said it plays well, looks like a competent fun RPG. I wish you luck finishing GOD and La Wares etc that seem to have lots of work behind them already.

I've already mentioned I like Shiki Eiyuuden the most out of your potential projects. The plot and setting are exceptional being so unusual for SFC's normal fare. The walking speed fix will help things immensely, there's lots of backtracking through a huge world map and towns. The battles are not well balanced, but what a charming game. Even without understanding japanese the plot oozes fun and interesting scenes based on real history - like the manga Kingdom, it's the same base plot about Zheng's (one of the playable characters whom you mistranslated as Sei ;) ) unification of China but as a backdrop for your character to travel around the world to become a hermit sage (sennin).

Good music too - with exceptions. Huge scope, but will definetely be a challenging script to translate for all the historic references to consider - character names and misc stuff I could help you with if that's ever in the future needed though.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:31 am 
Site Admin

hausen wrote:
I tried Benkei Gaiden some time ago, even without understanding what it's about as you said it plays well, looks like a competent fun RPG. I wish you luck finishing GOD and La Wares etc that seem to have lots of work behind them already.

I've already mentioned I like Shiki Eiyuuden the most out of your potential projects. The plot and setting are exceptional being so unusual for SFC's normal fare. The walking speed fix will help things immensely, there's lots of backtracking through a huge world map and towns. The battles are not well balanced, but what a charming game. Even without understanding japanese the plot oozes fun and interesting scenes based on real history - like the manga Kingdom, it's the same base plot about Zheng's (one of the playable characters whom you mistranslated as Sei ;) ) unification of China but as a backdrop for your character to travel around the world to become a hermit sage (sennin).

Good music too - with exceptions. Huge scope, but will definetely be a challenging script to translate for all the historic references to consider - character names and misc stuff I could help you with if that's ever in the future needed though.

Yes, Shiki Eiyuuden will be a tough one. The names are from *Gulp* Google Translate. If this game gets done, It will need much help indeed.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:18 am 

taskforce wrote:
Yeah, after Final Fantasy XII and Final Fantasy XIII, I wasn't about to order XV. Don't get me wrong. XIII had a decent story but I have yet to finish that game to this day because the combat was just so annoying. Quit on Chapter 10 and never could bring myself to finish it. And XII I couldn't even stand to play very long at all for the same reason. I do own both but I didn't buy them until i got them for $15 and $5 so no huge loss. I'll get XV too when the price as you said is $10-$20. But I will be preordering Persona 5. I'm by it like you are Final Fantasy XV. I don't preorder or pay full price often but that is an exception. Now I can just order it for PS4 instead of PS3. BTW: I got Uncharted 4 new for $30 on newegg (with free shipping), so it wasn't too much over $20. Sadly, it is now sold out or I'd provide a link.

Yes, I agreed. I just couldn't get myself to play FF XIII for much more than a handful of accumulated gaming hours' time because I've realised myself and learnt from others' reviews online that almost all of the battles would be processional; and that the journey already felt too linear for my liking! So I gave up on it. However it seems like Final Fantasy XV looks like it's got a fun over-world setting(s) to explore matched with pacey combat. But many reviews have pointed out that the story isn't particularly good, especially in the last four chapters, for example. So let's compare it more like Final Fantasy 5 on the SNES, then, eh? What if they may improve the spin-off sequels with better told stories?

MariusB wrote:
Power of the Hired was made by NCS/Masaya it seems... they're the makers of the recently translated Vixen 357 and Hisou Kihei XSERD. I imagine this game is very similar in terms of gameplay, there likely aren't any towns etc., it's just a series of battles. I guess the whole dump would be around 70-80 KB, judging by the first few missions.

One game I personally enjoyed a lot was Maten Densetsu. It's a very Shin Megami Tensei-like RPG with a rather unique art style to it. It's just me of course, not everyone likes these post-apocalyptic settings, mutants and all that good stuff. Even with my rather limited Japanese I found it to be quite playable (almost all important menus are in English for some reason).

Benkei Gaiden looks quite good too! Good luck with your projects, thanks for all the amazing work. :)

I do like your choice of a blue background for the menus & dialogue in Benkai Gaiden, Bongo'. It looks better than the brown colour used. This game is probably a semi remake of an older PC Engine game, so clearly, the graphical quality was not up to par with the usual SNES fare, but it's OK. And easier code probably = quicker hacking work. The blue colour alternative scheme in your Shiki Eiyuuden patch is much easier on the eyes than the official green colour, which is fairly abominable for the game's unique setting and theme! I've discussed about this game here before so you know.
Power of the Hired looks OK. Though the tiling on the maps are very repetitive (grass and fire everywhere, oh :o.).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:19 pm 
Site Admin

I can't say how the green on that one is, but don't knock a green background, Lunar: Eternal Blue for Sega CD used green and it worked terrific IMO.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:49 pm 

ObiKKa wrote:
The blue colour alternative scheme in your Shiki Eiyuuden patch is much easier on the eyes than the official green colour, which is fairly abominable for the game's unique setting and theme!

There's actually a config menu where one might change the color as they will ;) Green is just default.

Attachments:
options.png
options.png [ 7.34 KiB | Viewed 24608 times ]
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next