Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:21 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post subject: Re: Dynamic Designs is venturing into other langauges.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:33 am 

I wouldn't mind doing a few non-english translations myself. I got a few games worth being translated into a few other languages that I've hacked already.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:59 am 
Site Admin

Actually Bongo`, after thinking about it some more, with a VWF font. It would probably be a pain in the arse. The placement of the symbol would depend on the width of the letter. Sounds like a lot more of a pain to deal with. You'd have to determine the width of the letter and then place it centered on that. It can be done but I'd assume that is a lot of code doing this. I guess just making a full font set for these games is the way to go.

But that does lead me to another question. What about replacing the fonts in these games with a windows font? I'm usually all about custom fonts but since foreign stuff is out of my league, maybe this would get things going without me being the bottleneck.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:05 am 

I suppose that would depend on how Bongo` writes a VWF.

If it were similar to process I use:
1. load 1bpp font character into RAM
2. get character width
3. shift character how ever many pixels it is offset from the edge of the current tile
4. if not on the left edge of the tile (that is, starting a new tile), binary OR with (remains) of previous character (typically using a tile buffer large enough to fit 2 of the widest character)
5. convert tile to 2bpp or 4bpp if necessary, transfer to VRAM
6. if a tile has been filled up in the process, shift it out and shift the remainder towards the left side of the buffer

If there was enough vertical height left unused by the existing font (I personally tend to not use the top 2 lines of a font as I often don't need them for a nice-looking font), it doesn't seem like it would be hard to shift in an accent at the first step (using the character width to determine how far over to shift in the accent pixels)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:08 am 

Hi there,

maybe you remember me. I did some translations of miscellaneous stuff for your games :) Currently I'm busy with another project, but after that I could contribute some German translations. My interest in particular lies in, but is not limited to Burning Heroes.

As KingMike says, it's certainly very doable to add the accents at runtime, but I don't really think it's worth the effort. The space saved by not having to add extra characters into the font is marginal, especially considering the extra code that is needed. Furthermore, some languages also feature special characters anyway, like 'ß' in German or 'æ' in other languages.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:56 am 
Site Admin

LostTemplar wrote:
Hi there,

maybe you remember me. I did some translations of miscellaneous stuff for your games :) Currently I'm busy with another project, but after that I could contribute some German translations. My interest in particular lies in, but is not limited to Burning Heroes.

As KingMike says, it's certainly very doable to add the accents at runtime, but I don't really think it's worth the effort. The space saved by not having to add extra characters into the font is marginal, especially considering the extra code that is needed. Furthermore, some languages also feature special characters anyway, like 'ß' in German or 'æ' in other languages.
Do we remember you? Hee-hee, check out our future splash page for the game in question. We are also considering BH-Romanian and Portuguese. German would complete an excellent European triumvirate.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:17 am 
Site Admin

Hey, LostTemplar! How are you doing? I still remember you helping me translate some of those more difficult misc file descriptions for Burning Heroes a long while back. By the way, I'm just curious, was it my news post over at romhacking.net that got you thinking about doing a Burning Heroes translation in German? It certainly would be nice to see these games translated into more languages.

"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:04 am 
Site Admin

I don't know about you guys, but that splash is getting extremely stale. Don't you think its time for something new?

Image Image Image

JPG, GIF, PNG

Anyway, there is one alternative, but it is the coordinators call.

BTW: Any Dedications on this game?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:12 am 

What an honor - but could you write my nick without a space? That'd be great :)
Recca wrote:
Hey, LostTemplar! How are you doing? I still remember you helping me translate some of those more difficult misc file descriptions for Burning Heroes a long while back. By the way, I'm just curious, was it my news post over at romhacking.net that got you thinking about doing a Burning Heroes translation in German? It certainly would be nice to see these games translated into more languages.

Actually, yes. I read about D-D going international and thought it's a great idea.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:25 pm 
Site Admin

Once a splash page is set in stone, we'll put it however you want it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:42 pm 
Site Admin

taskforce wrote:
I don't know about you guys, but that splash is getting extremely stale. Don't you think its time for something new?

Image Image Image

JPG, GIF, PNG

Anyway, there is one alternative, but it is the coordinators call.

BTW: Any Dedications on this game?
Yeah, get this puppy to Bongo`! We have three dedications. Is there room?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next