Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:50 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Dynamic Designs is venturing into other langauges.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:29 pm 
Site Admin

I should be able to fit them in. Might have to make the font smaller but I'll get 'em in there.

If it isn't readable enough, I can remove the bevel but it doesn't look nearly as good. Maybe I can just reduce it some.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:41 am 

I'll be happy to see Destiny of an Emperor 2 translated into my own language ( Vietnamese ) but all I can do is translate, I think with my skill in English I can translate the whole game into my native language without having to put up so much effort despite it will take time, but there's nothing else I can do to help 'cause I do not have any hacking knowledge, is it possible for d-d to help me with the rest ?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:46 pm 
Site Admin

Wayne wrote:
I'll be happy to see Destiny of an Emperor 2 translated into my own language ( Vietnamese ) but all I can do is translate, I think with my skill in English I can translate the whole game into my native language without having to put up so much effort despite it will take time, but there's nothing else I can do to help 'cause I do not have any hacking knowledge, is it possible for d-d to help me with the rest ?
It would all depend on whether our insertion system still works. This was a very complex hack with sub-string compression and conversion of Chinese ideographs using dual tile encoding (DTE), but the dialogue might be switchable fairly easy using a Vietnamese sub-string table and byte-for-byte replacement. Thing is, if the bytes go over at any point in the process, I seem to recall the game crashing suddenly and dramatically.

Also, I don't believe we have the expertise or space to introduce a font with the copious combinations of Vietnamese diacritical markings that are possibly needed.

Example: Tôi thích cái con ngựa đen. (Chu Tu Ma comes to mind!)

Speaking of "ma", on a simpler scale, I seem to recall that the word "ma" has at least six variations.

ma 'ghost'
mà 'but'
má 'cheek, mother (southern)'
mả 'tomb, grave'
mã 'horse (Sino-Vietnamese), code'
mạ 'rice seedling'

All of these might have usage in DoaE, but if you could only write "ma", how would the reader know you didn't mean "ghost", by context maybe?

It's up to Taskforce to determine if we can do something with our very old inserter, assuming we still have the working directory in our files. Without those tool, we would basically have to start over. We're a fairly small group, and we have much on our plates.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:55 am 

You mean, we have to create a new font with all the variations on them in case of misunderstanding words? Like this " http://ca2.upanh.com/8.641.12850050.KUX0/fontfe3a.jpg "

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:15 am 
Site Admin

Well, there is a huge problem with these old games like Villgust and Destiny of an Emperor II.

Sadly, I've been thinking, none of my tools are remotely designed for unicode support. Since I never really thought about future needs of other languages. Not that Villgust had any font space left anyway. It is possible to get around this if all your codes can be represented using ansi. If they can't, this would take some recoding.

Anyway, I'll have to see if I even have the DoaE-2 archive anymore. I haven't looked at it in at least 10 years or more. I am sure I do have Villgust lying around dormant on a CD somewhere. If it still reads. Probably have it on the zip drive I haven't hooked up in 10 years too. I doubt that works anymore either.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:24 am 
Site Admin

Wayne wrote:
You mean, we have to create a new font with all the variations on them in case of misunderstanding words? Like this " http://ca2.upanh.com/8.641.12850050.KUX0/fontfe3a.jpg "
It looks like you have a handle on what's needed for font support. The real answer will come when Taskforce checks his archives. If they work, someone would still need to do the font hacking, and like Taskforce said, we probably don't have the knowledge among us to change the font and set it up for keyboard support, even if we have enough room for the additional letters.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:41 am 

No it's not my work, just someone's else, besides that is just one example.

Ahhh I really want to play DoaE-2 in my native language.