Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:02 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Gundam RPGs
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:44 pm 

I tell you, Knight Gundam games are cursed. :P

Haven't yet tried to hack the GB game you post of, but I've had numerous people offer to translate the script dumps I've made on the first FC game and the first SFC game. All have mysteriously vanished. :(

I did a fair amount of work on the FC game and the SFC game hacking was largely finished as I remember. (waiting on translation, though I did once get a "teach me how to hack it because you're not doing it fast enough" e-mail. :P )

Post subject: Re: Gundam RPGs
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:56 pm 
Site Admin

KingMike wrote:
I tell you, Knight Gundam games are cursed. :P

Haven't yet tried to hack the GB game you post of, but I've had numerous people offer to translate the script dumps I've made on the first FC game and the first SFC game. All have mysteriously vanished. :(

I did a fair amount of work on the FC game and the SFC game hacking was largely finished as I remember. (waiting on translation, though I did once get a "teach me how to hack it because you're not doing it fast enough" e-mail. :P )
Heh, highly impatient tactless people who don't understand the complexity and time factor involved are usually good for a chuckle or two.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:09 pm 

About the GB game, I might see if I can dump the script, but hacking it is another story. The font isn't compressed and even appears to have an upper and lower case english font built right into the game. Now hopefully they didn't compress the hell out of the script.

Btw KM, I know someone who wants to do SD Gundam Gaiden: Knight Gundam Monogatari. He thinks the game is beautiful and I guess if that's the game you are referring to for the NES, there might be something to look into.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:52 pm 
Site Admin

Garrett wrote:
About the GB game, I might see if I can dump the script, but hacking it is another story. The font isn't compressed and even appears to have an upper and lower case english font built right into the game. Now hopefully they didn't compress the hell out of the script.
Thank you! Ritchie didn't mention what his plans were for the script. I presume he would translate it. If you are a able to dump it, I know he would appreciate it. I assume it contains no Kanji, but if it does, I can work on the table file, although Ritchie could knock it out much faster.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:51 pm 

Yeah, probably not going to dump that script. The game doesn't store the whole font in VRAM, just writes whatever tiles it needs to it. Not that that's stopped me before, but relative searching ain't working for me either. I have a feeling that's because the game most likely uses dictionary compression. I'd need to do some debugging, which normally isn't a problem, but I like to trace the code as I debug. Sadly, I don't think the GB emulators really offer me that option. I am however waiting on a new version of BGB that will include a tracer.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:23 am 
Site Admin

Garrett wrote:
Yeah, probably not going to dump that script. The game doesn't store the whole font in VRAM, just writes whatever tiles it needs to it. Not that that's stopped me before, but relative searching ain't working for me either. I have a feeling that's because the game most likely uses dictionary compression. I'd need to do some debugging, which normally isn't a problem, but I like to trace the code as I debug. Sadly, I don't think the GB emulators really offer me that option. I am however waiting on a new version of BGB that will include a tracer.
Without the emulator authors and teams, we are nothing. But I'm wondering if those talented folks have overlooked the GB console because it's B&W. You know, some really super games have been released for the basic GB. Ritchie, having played countless JRPGs, probably knows that better than many! Also, I really want to finish our DoaE-GB in the worst way! And we already have a script dump and an Akujin translation for that game - just need an insertion system. And TF wants to finish Ranma 1/2 GB, eventually.

As for me, I don't care about modern whistles and bells. It's the structure and story that count! If I'm totally pulled into the suspense and drama of a game, driven by a story well told with colorful characters brought to life through snappy dialogue, nothing else matters!

I really appreciate your efforts, Garrett. Please let me know if anything new develops.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:34 am 

I think fan translators and hackers have overlooked the system as a whole being that there's so few fan works or really anything of quality. The emulator's are mostly fine, but don't really have what I want. Hopefully that'll change soon though.

As far the games being great, I kinda doubt it. I have one GB RPG translated and the translator said the script was very plain, basic etc. Probably meant for children or fitted in a limited space. Another translator who I sent some scripts to for another RPG pretty much said the same thing. I'm sure there's a few good ones, but most of it is probably fairly standard.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:29 am 
Site Admin

I talked him into...I mean, Esperknight volunteered to take a look at this game when he has some time, maybe in a week or two. ;)

The Devil takes notes from Lina Inverse? That sounds about right.

My projects
RHDN Community DB

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:21 am 

Couldn't help myself as I was a bit curious so took a look at it :) Found the script and the pointer table so may have something in a few days.

I may be a bit slow working on it as Moon RPG Remix for now is taking top priority and I tend to jump from project to project (just ask filler :D) but I'll definitely help out on it.

I'd also be interested in checking out the others mentioned too (DoaE and Ramna 1/2). The gameboy is my favorite handheld system so would love to see more love for it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:21 am 
Site Admin

esperknight wrote:
Couldn't help myself as I was a bit curious so took a look at it :) Found the script and the pointer table so may have something in a few days.

I may be a bit slow working on it as Moon RPG Remix for now is taking top priority and I tend to jump from project to project (just ask filler :D) but I'll definitely help out on it.

I'd also be interested in checking out the others mentioned too (DoaE and Ramna 1/2). The gameboy is my favorite handheld system so would love to see more love for it.
That is super, esperknight! Thanks to you, Matt, Garrett and everyone else who has responded. Taskforce knows where we stand on Ranma, so maybe he'll say a word or two.

BTW, can GB ROMs be expanded for script. That's the biggest problem with any game that offers limited space for dialogue, as is. The potential is always there, but decent English localization requires adequate room for story and character development, the craftsmanship that brings it to life. This is why I keep hounding Bongo` regarding the Arethas!