Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:32 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: D-D’s Forums Are Welcoming Places
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:25 pm 
Site Admin

We invite people who enjoy classic video games to visit here and participate in discussions. We don’t care how fluent you are in Romanian, English, or any other language. We make every effort to keep this a friendly domain.

We don’t “belong” to any outside entity or larger organized effort. Our independent products are patches for gameplay in languages other than Japanese. We do consider ourselves related to what is broadly defined by some as a “translation community”. In a sense, we consider those who have contributed to translations our brothers and sisters.

That means like real siblings, we occasionally disagree, but in the end, when outside people attack one of us, they attack all of us. So, if you visit us, please keep what I just said in mind - and welcome!

Post subject: Re: D-D’s Forums Are Welcoming Places
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:59 pm 
Site Admin

Please indulge me as I outline a few additional points to explain the culture we shall continue to maintain at Dynamic Designs.

Politics: Persons of any political persuasions or parties are welcome here. In the case of Americans, we don't care if you support Clinton, Trump, or any other professional politician, current office holder, or former official. If you wish, you may even debate political subjects on the "Chitchat" board, but really, other venues focused on politics are probably better suited at hosting those types of discussions.

For example, if you happen to divulge that, "Hey, I'm a Biden supporter," don't worry. We won't ban you, and if you draw trolls who personally attack you for your political beliefs, we WILL delete any and all hate-filled inflammatory responses.

If you announce a hack or translation here, and someone viciously attacks the way you presented the story, either in localized, literal, or any other style, we WILL delete inflammatory responses that attempt to steal your fun and that of players who appreciate your work. It is your business and no one else's how you choose to construct your projects.

In other words, we are dedicated to keeping this site as fun-filled as possible, a place to celebrate everyone's achievements along with them. Our staff will not pass harsh pass judgments on anyone's hard work, regardless of his or her politics, and we will not allow haters to spew venom on our WWW boards.

Finally, our moderators will ensure that all subject matter presented here remains in good taste, suitable for viewing by children who are being raised to become good citizens of any nationality or society and conduct themselves as proper young ladies and gentlemen. We consider ourselves unabashedly wholesome (for the most part, hee-hee...)!

Have fun, and happy gaming.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 am 

I appreciate this. Thanks for setting a good example. For a handful of years I moderated a different site (I won't name it, but I'll just say it was related to ROM hacking) and over time became the most invested admin there aside from the founder. Being as focused on it was I was led to a considerable sense of responsibility, and I got as mildly annoyed as anyone would putting up with it constantly, but my dedication to the community and its interests kept me going. One day, the moment I got the slightest bit fed up with a few members (of course with zero support from the nominal staff) I logged back on to find I was permanently banned, and not without a defamatory message from one of the other admins conspicuously posted in response. Next thing I knew, I was banned without warning from multiple other places that shared members with it. Naturally I asked them in simple terms why I couldn't log in, assuming as much good faith as I could, but was met with either no response or a stated refusal to talk to me(!). I wondered if I should push any further in the cases where I didn't get an answer; at that point it occurred to me that pushing back even slightly carried the risk of them spreading the message to remove me from all communities, so I leaned toward not risking a potentially fatal error.

I was content with calling it quits with that handful of groups, but little did I know the Lovecraftian beast centralizing the internet and normalizing witch hunts was still hungry, and a few months later a fellow composer I was starting to get along with abruptly cut ties with me, citing "screenshots" (which of course he wouldn't show me, lest I poison his mind by providing context.) All because of...who was it again? Didn't matter anymore. The word was out that I wasn't a model citizen and as many people as possible had to know. I still don't know what to make of it, whether or not this chain reaction is over, and so forth. Remembering him in particular gives a harsh reminder that thinking about things voluntarily only makes them worse, which is also why I'll try not to proofread this reply...

I know an obvious "solution" is to adopt a new screen name, and maybe it takes being in this position to notice the issue with a one-step solution to a multifaceted, socially-rooted problem. Unfortunately for me I believe that integrity counts. Anonymity has its place, but if I can't put my best foot forward under one name, I may as well not say or do anything at all. If you don't see the point of that then we'll see how it's affected you five or ten years down the line. Besides, at what point would I be honest and open enough under a new name that it would become connected to this one? Showing personality as a liability? No thank you, I'm online to enjoy things, not plan a war.

As a result I'm still heavily filtered and can't ever claim to be 100% genuine, but in a place that lets me I'm at least going to try. Everyone runs into some situation that leaves them with a desire to hide in some way, but they don't all become cynical or bitter so I don't want to be either. This is a quiet place, but the loudest thing it can do is follow an example. The best weapon against this distorted idea of moralism and order is a better idea.

A stamp for your book? Sorry, I don't have one.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:17 am 
Site Admin

Sherkel wrote:
I appreciate this. Thanks for setting a good example. For a handful of years I moderated a different site (I won't name it, but I'll just say it was related to ROM hacking) and over time became the most invested admin there aside from the founder. Being as focused on it was I was led to a considerable sense of responsibility, and I got as mildly annoyed as anyone would putting up with it constantly, but my dedication to the community and its interests kept me going. One day, the moment I got the slightest bit fed up with a few members (of course with zero support from the nominal staff) I logged back on to find I was permanently banned, and not without a defamatory message from one of the other admins conspicuously posted in response. Next thing I knew, I was banned without warning from multiple other places that shared members with it. Naturally I asked them in simple terms why I couldn't log in, assuming as much good faith as I could, but was met with either no response or a stated refusal to talk to me(!). I wondered if I should push any further in the cases where I didn't get an answer; at that point it occurred to me that pushing back even slightly carried the risk of them spreading the message to remove me from all communities, so I leaned toward not risking a potentially fatal error.

I was content with calling it quits with that handful of groups, but little did I know the Lovecraftian beast centralizing the internet and normalizing witch hunts was still hungry, and a few months later a fellow composer I was starting to get along with abruptly cut ties with me, citing "screenshots" (which of course he wouldn't show me, lest I poison his mind by providing context.) All because of...who was it again? Didn't matter anymore. The word was out that I wasn't a model citizen and as many people as possible had to know. I still don't know what to make of it, whether or not this chain reaction is over, and so forth. Remembering him in particular gives a harsh reminder that thinking about things voluntarily only makes them worse, which is also why I'll try not to proofread this reply...

I know an obvious "solution" is to adopt a new screen name, and maybe it takes being in this position to notice the issue with a one-step solution to a multifaceted, socially-rooted problem. Unfortunately for me I believe that integrity counts. Anonymity has its place, but if I can't put my best foot forward under one name, I may as well not say or do anything at all. If you don't see the point of that then we'll see how it's affected you five or ten years down the line. Besides, at what point would I be honest and open enough under a new name that it would become connected to this one? Showing personality as a liability? No thank you, I'm online to enjoy things, not plan a war.

As a result I'm still heavily filtered and can't ever claim to be 100% genuine, but in a place that lets me I'm at least going to try. Everyone runs into some situation that leaves them with a desire to hide in some way, but they don't all become cynical or bitter so I don't want to be either. This is a quiet place, but the loudest thing it can do is follow an example. The best weapon against this distorted idea of moralism and order is a better idea.
You alluded to this a while back.

Enjoyment, yes... If fun evaporates from anything, its purpose suffers defeat. Heh, nothing ruins something special faster than people!

We enjoy having you here. Shoot, I have liberal family members and friends. The best way to avoid melting them down is to almost totally avoid discussing politics. Just the way it is. Thank you for all you've done to contribute to the hobby.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:37 am 

Wildbill wrote:
You alluded to this a while back.

Enjoyment, yes... If fun evaporates from anything, its purpose suffers defeat. Heh, nothing ruins something special faster than people!

We enjoy having you here. Shoot, I have liberal family members and friends. The best way to avoid melting them down is to almost totally avoid discussing politics. Just the way it is. Thank you for all you've done to contribute to the hobby.

Did I? Well, there you go, after a short while I can't help but be an open book. It's a natural urge! If any projects come up here that my know-how might apply to, I'll definitely offer what I can. Thank you for running such a good community and all of your work.

A stamp for your book? Sorry, I don't have one.