Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:56 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: BAD ROM!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:54 am 

Hi, I have applied the English patch to several different version of the Slayers ROM but each and every time I try to load the game (via snes9x and zsnes) it shows this: Image OR THIS Image and refuses to run any further.

I use a macbook pro, OS X ver 10.6.2 and used IPS Patcher 2.0 for the patching. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Post subject: Re: BAD ROM!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:12 am 

Check the file size and compare it to the number listed in the readme file that came with the patch. My first patching for version 1.00 didn't work either because the file sizes didn't match.

Winston Churchill in response to forming an alliance with the Soviet Union during World War 2:
If Hitler invaded Hell I would make at least a favorable reference to the devil in the House of Commons

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:15 am 

Hello tom-the-mighty, welcome to our forums.
First of all, please certify your rom does not contain a header of any sort.
Please check the status of your rom with NSRT ( http://www.romhacking.net/utils/484/ )
Keep us posted on the developments, we will do our best to help you.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:21 am 

Hi there :)

First, it's not un-common that when you patch a ROM you'd get message from your emulator that the ROM is a bad ROM, seeing as it recognizes that the ROM was altered.

Now about the copies of the ROM per se, you need the "good" version of the ROM, the one usually marked simply as Slayers (J).smc . Sometimes you might find one with an (!) along with the title giving you Slayers(!)(j).smc. Both this & the one without an (!) are the good version of the ROM, any other versions are bad dumps of the game.

Now that you have a copy of the good ROM, you need to find out if your ROM has a header or not, there are two ways to find this out:

1. Compare your ROMs actual file size against that which the patch's readme file recommends, if they are not the same, your copy might be headered. This ROM by the way needs an non-headered ROM.

2. Google & download "Ucon64" & chances are the first entry on the search results page will lead you to ucon64's home page.

Download ucon64 ^ it's frontend u-fox (I recommend getting u-fox as it's GUI driven, unlike ucon64 itself which is purely command-line based.

Now once you have them start up u-fox then on the SNES tab click on "show info" then locate your ROM, it will then show you the information about your ROM.

Incidentally, patching ROMs often messes up the ROM's checksum values causing an error when the game is loaded up, in this case use "fix checksum" to correct the game's crc values so it can be properly loaded by an emulator. You might still get the "bad ROM" error even after you fixed the ROM's checksum, but that would only be because the emulator "sees" the changes the patch did to the game.

Now if this isn't the problem,I suggest you try getting a hold of the latest versions of either BSNES oe snes9x (version 1.52) as according to the "projects page" article on RHDN, "most" emulators do tend to act up with the Slayers ROM itself.

Hope this helps you out :)

If not wait for the replies of the awesome admins of this forum to help you in the more technical side of things :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:59 am 

Okay.
File name is simply Slayers.smc, CHECK
File-size = 1,573,376 bytes, CHECK
Downloaded BSNES, ROM doesn't work. . .
Downloaded uncon64-2.0.0 macosx-bin, CHECK
Scared crapless by techno-babble, CHECK (why do you think I use a mac? lol)
can't find ufox . . . . oh boy.

Thanks everyone for the help so far! Still not quite there yet. What is this ufox? And where can I find it? Google led to nothing.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:23 am 
Site Admin

Well.... All I add is that the game DOES work on bsnes under OSX. It's what I used when preparing my beta reports.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:32 am 

tom-the-mighty wrote:
Okay.
File name is simply Slayers.smc, CHECK
File-size = 1,573,376 bytes, CHECK
Downloaded BSNES, ROM doesn't work. . .
Downloaded uncon64-2.0.0 macosx-bin, CHECK
Scared crapless by techno-babble, CHECK (why do you think I use a mac? lol)
can't find ufox . . . . oh boy.

Thanks everyone for the help so far! Still not quite there yet. What is this ufox? And where can I find it? Google led to nothing.

When you say the rom doesn't work, do you mean with or without the patch?
from the pictures you've shown I'm inclined to believe it was not patched correctly
the header should read Slayers (MMR & D-D)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:34 am 

it works just fine without the patch. Hmm. . .I'm gonna give it one more go. Redownload the ROM, test it first without then patched.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:38 am 

No go. Works fine unpatched, but will not work for me on snes9x, znes, or bsnes

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:40 am 

Tom,

Why don't you send me a private message (Dynamic Design's PM system) with your email address.

Winston Churchill in response to forming an alliance with the Soviet Union during World War 2:
If Hitler invaded Hell I would make at least a favorable reference to the devil in the House of Commons

Last edited by ultpaladin on Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.