Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 5:45 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Translation Question: Hans and his dog Pants
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:57 am 

I just started beta testing Slayers along with Red Soul and Alexander and I ran into an interesting difference between the walkthrough on GameFAQs and the game itself. I thought it would be interesting to open it up to more people like Filler and Wildbill which is why I am posting it here.

In the game there is a character Hans who the party thinks is kidnapped because he is late to his shop but then the party finds out that he was out walking his dog Pants (the dog's name) who then escapes off his leash explaining why Hans was late to his shop.

The walkthrough has a very different translation:

Hans then come up to you and gives you a good morning.
Lina then asks him what he is doing here. He says he left his underwear.
Hans thens says to hurry before criminals find out. Naga ask what kind of
a moron would forget his underwear. Hans then says they have the map and
should get going, calling Naga clever. Naga then says really. Hans then
asks what kind of criminal wouldn't. Connie then says they should start to
leave. Hans gives you a good luck.

Because the event centers around the dog, I think the first translation makes more sense but having the dog named "Pants" is strange. I just wanted to throw that out there and see what people thought.

Winston Churchill in response to forming an alliance with the Soviet Union during World War 2:
If Hitler invaded Hell I would make at least a favorable reference to the devil in the House of Commons

Post subject: Re: Translation Question: Hans and his dog Pants
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:23 pm 

Lol maybe this japanese people called their dogs that way lol :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:02 pm 
Site Admin

ultpaladin wrote:
I just started beta testing Slayers along with Red Soul and Alexander and I ran into an interesting difference between the walkthrough on GameFAQs and the game itself. I thought it would be interesting to open it up to more people like Filler and Wildbill which is why I am posting it here.

In the game there is a character Hans who the party thinks is kidnapped because he is late to his shop but then the party finds out that he was out walking his dog Pants (the dog's name) who then escapes off his leash explaining why Hans was late to his shop.

The walkthrough has a very different translation:

Hans then come up to you and gives you a good morning.
Lina then asks him what he is doing here. He says he left his underwear.
Hans thens says to hurry before criminals find out. Naga ask what kind of
a moron would forget his underwear. Hans then says they have the map and
should get going, calling Naga clever. Naga then says really. Hans then
asks what kind of criminal wouldn't. Connie then says they should start to
leave. Hans gives you a good luck.

Because the event centers around the dog, I think the first translation makes more sense but having the dog named "Pants" is strange. I just wanted to throw that out there and see what people thought.
Having some days off, I have really been surging on this game since Friday. Although I have played the game to it's ending credits - in English - Bongo`, Filler, and I remain amazingly busy. In fact, we are still dumping new files and translating them. The reasons for all of this extra work at the end would be spoilers (unless someone reads ahead in the FAQ), but the short answer is I couldn't open many of the treasure chests until well past the beginning of the game, so I couldn't trigger certain side quest events such as the Dentures in Johannes City. Therefore, I never saw those strings come up the first and only time I played through, so I couldn't write and polish those scenes until now. Since I beat the game for the very first time last Sunday night, I'm going back and cleaning up numerous early events, as well as working on all of the spoiler-related tasks.

As for the FAQ, I am finding that Filler's translation is many, many times more accurate than the still excellent FAQ. In some fuzzy areas, the FAQ does act as a supplement. Using a combination of the script file translations, the FAQ, observation of actions on the screen, a few re-translations, and deductive logic, I have had no problem putting this story together - unlike Feda, that was filled with subtleties and vague political intrigue. Slayers is about as subtle as a MAC truck with a broken muffler rumbling past graveside services! Also, the FAQ ignores most side quests and treasure hunts, of which I am discovering that Slayers has many more of those than I suspected. The FAQ is almost straight linear, denoting the fastest approach to the immediate game-advancing goal, It is not detailed like so FAQs written for games already ported to English. Finally, the FAQ writer admits over and over than he hopes he got a certain scene right, admitting that his comprehension of some details was hazy. Without it, however, my job would have been more difficult, especially in the complicated dungeons.

I will throw out a challenge to the beta team now. Much later in the game, you will enter a place where the strongest spell in the story is supposed to reside, called Dragon Slave. I have translated strings in a file that indicate you can find a place somewhere inside this dungeon to 'learn" that spell, but I never found it, so I never learned it. The FAQ writer, on the other hand, drew excellent maps that give you a quick reference to the end bosses, making no mention that Dragon Slave is available in some remote, warp-able reach of the labyrinth. But I feel it's in there because I found places not on his maps! If it's in there, we need to find it!

Finally, the dog... His name is not Pants. What I did to distinguish him from other dogs - since he was out of breath running in circles with Hans chasing him - was alter the name list to have him panting from exhaustion.

Dog *Pants*:
Arf, arf...!

Whenever we enclose a word or phrase in asterisks, we are denoting a sound something makes that is not communication related. *Zzzzzz* *Cough* *Pants*

So, I changed it to...

Panting Dog:
Arf, arf, (etc.)

...to make this doggone story element more clear. Anyone who believes this pooch's name is "Pants" is barking up the wrong tree!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:44 pm 
Site Admin

Wildbill wrote:
Dog *Pants*:
Arf, arf...!

Whenever we enclose a word or phrase in asterisks, we are denoting a sound something makes that is not communication related. *Zzzzzz* *Cough* *Pants*

So, I changed it to...

Panting Dog:
Arf, arf, (etc.)

...to make this doggone story element more clear. Anyone who believes this pooch's name is "Pants" is barking up the wrong tree!
Well, I'll be danged. I wrote this part in October and forgot. I just checked, and the crazy hound's name IS "Pants", hee-hee... Pants is seriously panting, ha-ha-ha! I remember the underwear thing, too, now that I've reviewed it. It made no sense to me either at the time because it had nothing to do with chasing after Pants. Heh, this story is rapidly going to the dogs, and I'm not a-wolfin'! No more bones of contention over the under-pants, huh...!? Okay, I'm stopping now... I'm dog-tired anyway... enough pun-ishment!!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:15 pm 

I knew it Dragslave can be learned :lol:, I was chatting with Redsoul about it cuz it was weird that LINA original got that space for some reason at level 10, cuz the twin or copy of lina knows it, why the original doesn't so I hope you can find it or when I reach the ending, if you fine it tell us the place thanks Alex ;) .

Post subject: Re: Translation Question: Hans and his dog Pants (SPOILERS)
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:26 pm 
Site Admin

alexander_13 wrote:
I knew it Dragslave can be learned :lol:, I was chatting with Redsoul about it cuz it was weird that LINA original got that space for some reason at level 10, cuz the twin or copy of lina knows it, why the original doesn't so I hope you can find it or when I reach the ending, if you fine it tell us the place thanks Alex ;) .
(SPOILERS) Here are the actual undiscovered strings in Block 64:

;----------------------;
; ;
;----------------------;
.POINTER = $000960DA
; Offset = $0009662C

; ドラグ・スレイブの書を
; 見つけた!
.TEXT
You found "Dragon Slave"!
.ENDT

;----------------------;
; ;
;----------------------;
.POINTER = $000960DC
; Offset = $00096640

; ドラグ・スレイブの呪文を
; 覚えた!
.TEXT
You memorized "Dragon Slave"!
.ENDT

;----------------------;
; ;
;----------------------;
.POINTER = $000960DE
; Offset = $00096655

; 何かの書を見つけたが
; ???でよめないので
; 元にもどした
.TEXT
You found some kind of writing,
but it's a strange language
you cannot read...
Because of that, you returned
to the place you started.
.ENDT

While inside the Flagoon Tree I found a remote, dead-end, warp-to place that had a bunch of torches in a perfect circle. I tried everything inside there, but all I did was draw enemies. It's got to be in there somewhere.

I've got lots to do and finish, so I'm counting on you guys to find it and solve the mystery. You can play forward as fast as you want, just organize your reports into cities and scenarios so I can process them efficiently. I am playing through on BSNES now, a little at a time, checking and fixing everything.

Oh, yeah... Be sure to warn of spoilers on this forum!!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:43 pm 
Site Admin

Just wanted to say thanks Wildbill for your defense of my translation. I myself have often chuckled at the differences between the translated script and the FAQ. The FAQ writer made a great and helpful FAQ, but the translations of the scenes are not especially accurate. They frequently get words right but tend to connect them in "unique" ways. I had the benefit of being able to sit with the electronic script for months and research and look up words. They probably came up with these descriptions off-the-cuff as they played with the vocab they know off the top of their head. Considering that they are not bad, but they aren't very accurate. Keep in mind also that, barring mistranslations on my part which I'm sure I made a few, we are re-writing the script in the spirit of the original but not the word. There will be some areas that are not 1:1 translations but trust me, they are only improvements on the original. I see my role in script editing as only stepping in where I feel the original had a little something that we are missing in the re-write and trying to help make sure that it is re-introduced and retained. Wildbill has been doing a great job on the re-write. I assure you you're in for a fun experience and we are taking pains to make sure that it's as faithful to the source as is warranted while making it a true localization that should be many times more enjoyable than a straight translation. Sometimes Pants gets lost in translation. :) (THAT's why I'm not wearing any!)

The Devil takes notes from Lina Inverse? That sounds about right.

My projects
RHDN Community DB

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:58 pm 
Site Admin

filler wrote:
Sometimes Pants gets lost in translation. :) (THAT's why I'm not wearing any!)
I know... When they were passing out pants, you thought they said, "Rants," and when you pitched three fits, you struck out! (Hee-hee... gotta million of 'em...!)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:15 pm 

I've heard "pantsu" is Japanese for underwear.
Not sure if that adds anything to the text.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:37 pm 

Filler, I definitely agree that your translation made more sense considering the events with the dog and the writing has been very fun to read thanks to you and WildBill.

Winston Churchill in response to forming an alliance with the Soviet Union during World War 2:
If Hitler invaded Hell I would make at least a favorable reference to the devil in the House of Commons