Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 12:24 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: How will Beta Testing work for this game?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:30 am 

It sounded from the most recent news announcement that some internal testing may begin in a little bit. Were there any plans to beta test this with additional helpers or will you mostly focus on getting reports after a public release? By the way, usually I'm not into anime based RPGs but this one is looking pretty interesting.

Winston Churchill in response to forming an alliance with the Soviet Union during World War 2:
If Hitler invaded Hell I would make at least a favorable reference to the devil in the House of Commons

Post subject: Re: How will Beta Testing work for this game?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:40 pm 

Yes Wildbill promised me to be a beta tester ;) , also Redsoul is the main beta tester and you ultpaladin,I don't know who else.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:36 pm 
Site Admin

alexander_13 wrote:
Yes Wildbill promised me to be a beta tester ;) , also Redsoul is the main beta tester and you ultpaladin,I don't know who else.
I want both of you fellows to contact me using my D-D e-mail, so I will have your e-mails in my data base when the time comes. As an aside, Alex, I have received several internal D-D messages from you, but they always read "Removed by Originator" or something to that effect. I'm not sure what's going on with this...

Anyway, I am approaching V0.90. We have some internal work to do with Minna the Save Girl (possibly) a few menu adjustments to make right now, some map sprite translations in the works, but otherwise, beta testing is drawing very close. You can find my D-D e-mail by going to our "Member" page and clicking on the e-mail icon. I frequently send up to 2 MB zipped files with updates, so hopefully the e-mail addies you provide me will accept that size attachment.

Another way I might do this is provide you with an updated download link.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:25 pm 

I sent you my email over pm, the error is because I deleted my outgoing message but in other forums you send a pm and you can delete the sent messages and no problems but here is not that way lol.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:12 am 

Wildbill,

I sent you a private message via the DD system. I didn't see your email address on the site but I did leave my address in the message. There have been a few times in the past where some messages sent to me have popped up in my spam folder so if I don't respond after a day, just let me know on the message boards and once I find that first message there should be no more worries.

Do you have any preferences on emulators?

Winston Churchill in response to forming an alliance with the Soviet Union during World War 2:
If Hitler invaded Hell I would make at least a favorable reference to the devil in the House of Commons

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:52 am 
Site Admin

Okay, Alex and ultpaladin, I have your e-mail info in hand. We have reached V0.90. SPOILER Since you are on the beta team, some spoilers are unavoidable. Slayers has what I am calling a "Main" game and a "Bonus" game. This is not uncommon in RPGs, as you well know. Sometimes, we unlock a bonus dungeon at some point in a game. Other methods append extra scenarios and new places to visit.

Let me just say that I have completed writing the first draft of the main game. Even though I am calling it a first draft, it is highly polished and probably finished for the most part, because some scenes have already been rewritten 10-to-20 times. The bonus game comprises about 10% of the dialogue script, in my estimation. Hence, I'm calling this a V0.90 Alpha "in the can". I am calling it an Alpha for two reasons. One, it is not finished, and two, we have several technical and cosmetic features yet to refine, but the game just tonight became fully playable "story-wise" to the end of the main game.

Therefore, we are just about ready to mobilize the beta team. Red Soul will coordinate the reports of all three of you into a unified document system. Then, I am hoping Draken will play through last for fine tuning just prior to release.

I believe we will recommend BSNES as the emulator of choice, but if it runs slowly on your equipment, by all means use your emulator of choice.

I will discuss options and timing with the group, but may send you a current progress game as soon as a week from now. It probably depends mainly on when Red Soul has time to get organized for his role. I will continue writing the bonus game while the rest of you are playing the main game and submitting reports through Red Soul. Every change we make will need to be re-tested and confirmed by someone that everything is in order, so you might want to build an archive of save-states.

Finally, I want you fellows to know how much we appreciate your assistance. I personally know how much both of you enjoy these retro games, so I want to make sure we have the package in pretty good shape, so that nothing distracts unnecessarily from your enjoyment of the experience.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:22 pm 

Thanks Wildbill to let us help you with this game, also I'm going to use snes9x and then I will post some pics if I find some errors in the dialog if that's ok ;) .
And also I will follow the guide of gamefaqs http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/snes/file/574852/5401 by Steven Bruck.
So thanks again for the oportunity :D .

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:21 pm 
Site Admin

alexander_13 wrote:
Thanks Wildbill to let us help you with this game, also I'm going to use snes9x and then I will post some pics if I find some errors in the dialog if that's ok ;) .
And also I will follow the guide of gamefaqs http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/snes/file/574852/5401 by Steven Bruck.
So thanks again for the oportunity :D .
In that case, if you don't mind running SNES9x V1.43, that would work out well for Bongo` in the event you uncover a glitch that needs debugging. With save-states from SNES9x V1.43, he can troubleshoot in real time and fix problems a lot faster sometimes.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:22 pm 

Just thought I'd note that for archival purposes, we'd need to set a common emulator for usage as a fall back in case BSNES is not entirely possible for the whole testing team...so, what is it going to be? also, I will post some guidelines that I believe will help everyone. they are just that, guidelines, I won't send a SS platoon after you guys if you disagree, but I'd like the work method ironed out before we begin.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:20 pm 

I will be moving the guidelines to "Beta Testing Terminal" as I believe they are general enough to fit any future endeavor, please check there
(I'm writing it up soon).

Edit: Its finished, please read it up and see what your questions may be.