Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:11 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post subject: Re: Bongo`, I was just wondering...
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:41 pm 
Site Admin

Progress to report - from Bongo`...

The decompressor program is coded and fully functional. This is a major step and one of the more difficult barriers to surmount in the process of dumping the existing data from the game - that which we wish to convert to English. Now, we need to identify all that will be dumped, in this case, actual text files with position markers.

A partially translated English ROM of this game is available, but I'm not sure yet how we will extract that data and match it with the Japanese dump. Doing so will accelerate the production time greatly, leaving maybe 10% of the total Japanese to translate. The real time-consumer may be menu work ASM. We'll learn more as we get into it. Maybe Bongo` will amplify some of this.

As soon as we can get all of the dumped files into Recca's hands - assuming he's ready, willing, and able - he may start preparing new files (in English) for re-insertion and organizing exactly what needs to be translated and inserted for the first time.

Our intention is to finish Lina Chan's work, not replace it, although we will ensure the final story - with appropriate edits, as needed - is rendered at a professional level.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:07 am 
Site Admin

I'll be ready to help out when ever you're ready Wildbill. By the way, it seems that AGTP is progressing quite far and nicely with Hourai High. I wonder if that was one of the secret projects that Gideon Zhi mentioned a while back?

Edit: Just saw the new thread here about it. Yup, it turns out that it was indeed one of the secret projects.

"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:21 am 
Site Admin

Recca wrote:
I'll be ready to help out when ever you're ready Wildbill. By the way, it seems that AGTP is progressing quite far and nicely with Hourai High. I wonder if that was one of the secret projects that Gideon Zhi mentioned a while back?
Heh, we may need to call your number to carry the ball on many of the downs during this drive.

Regarding HHS, so it seems, but everyone who has followed the various activities in our hobby has known for a long time that two different translation groups are planning to build English patches for HHS, based on the separate interpretations of two outstanding translators. Ours - once we get to it - will be rendered in the typical D-D style. In fact, TF wants me to play Personna (and totally immerse myself in the club system culture) before he figures I've properly researched the genre and prepared adequately for my role in the effort, hee-hee... He may be right, but I have seven or eight more scenarios to go in Chaos Seed first. Give me about two more weeks (to get my wife back on her feet), and I'm gonna turn into a veritable dragon vein restoring, cave-building fool!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:25 pm 
Site Admin

I've sent you a .srm save state a little earlier today with saves from all four scenarios which I thought would be useful to have for the purpose of beta testing when we actually get working on this. Unlike Burning Heroes, Record of Lodoss War goes through it's four scenarios in order (Karla, Beld, Fahn, then finally Parn who is the main character of the anime). I hope that this .srm save is useful.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:08 pm 
Site Admin

Recca wrote:
I've sent you a .srm save state a little earlier today with saves from all four scenarios which I thought would be useful to have for the purpose of beta testing when we actually get working on this. Unlike Burning Heroes, Record of Lodoss War goes through it's four scenarios in order (Karla, Beld, Fahn, then finally Parn who is the main character of the anime). I hope that this .srm save is useful.
We haven't laid out a precise plan yet, but here are my early thoughts for everyone to consider. As soon as Bongo` does all of the dumping we need, I thought you might want to take the lead on this effort, at least in the beginning. If it bogs you down at some point, we could share the duties.

The way I always envisioned this one proceeding, we might very well end up with two dumps. One dump would be entirely in Japanese, from the unpatched ROM, of course. The other would be partially in English, based on the applied English patch. Using this approach, someone would need to pore over the Japanese dump and with steady painstaking effort manually paste the untranslated Japanese back into the partial English dump above the insertion markers. As strings of the remaining Japanese were translated, the English would be typed between the insertion markers and the ROM recompiled (inserted), either in singles or in whole blocks. Thus, the completed English patch would take shape. You could play through the ROM as you add English insertions, alpha test everything, and edit/rewrite the story by fixing typos, removing honorifics (if we decide to do that), etc.

Or, if a dump is possible that would display both English and the remaining Japanese, this would simply the process greatly. I just won't know what the simplest approach will be until Bongo` reports to us on the particulars. But if you and everyone agrees for you to take the lead as coordinator and you are able to stick with it, it would also be up to you to work with Bongo` directly to debug the alpha version as you proceed.

As for my role, if you take the lead, I would like the chance to do a play-through before we go to Beta, so I can execute my usual task of polishing the story. In addition, I would help find someone to assist us in finishing the translation. I would need to know how many kilobytes we are looking at before doing that. It's possible you might find someone on the community board where LostTempler and other translators visit occasionally.

All three of the married fellows in the D-D core group have family situations going on right now that are taking away much of our hobby time, especially Bongo` who has a new son. He may need some additional time to get settled before addressing these dumps. Meanwhile, thanks for sending the SRM material. The advanced game saves you provided in Burning Heroes certainly helped us get to the halfway point in that game. Something tells me that Ritchie may be hard pressed to resume support at this time, but I'll have my hands full with Chaos Seed, anyway, going into the summer.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:37 pm 
Site Admin

Hmm, not sure I m,entioned this before but the files in this game are in Directory format.
1 Main and all subdirectories.

So as it is stored in decompressed format is how it is processed.
I think it can be a decent data set to work with.

All text data is stored as is in sjis in this general format...

Code:
M_01
ダガー
M_02
ダガー+1
M_03
ダガー+2
M_04
ショートソード
M_05
ショートソード+1
M_06
ショートソード+2
M_07
ブロードソード
M_08
ブロードソード+1
M_09
ブロードソード+2
M_10
バスタードソード
M_11
バスタードソード+1
M_12
バスタードソード+2
M_13
グレートソード
M_14
グレートソード+1
M_15
グレートソード+2
M_16
レイピア
M_17
レイピア+1
M_18
レイピア+2
M_19
ショートスピア
M_20
ショートスピア+1
M_21
ショートスピア+2
M_22
ロングスピア
M_23
ロングスピア+1
M_24
ロングスピア+2
M_25
ハルバード
M_26
ハルバード+1
M_27
ハルバード+2
M_28
ハンドアックス
M_29
ハンドアックス+1
M_30
ハンドアックス+2
M_31
バトルアックス
M_32
バトルアックス+1
M_33
バトルアックス+2
M_34
グレートアックス
M_35
グレートアックス+1
M_36
グレートアックス+2
M_37
ライトメイス
M_38
ライトメイス+1
M_39
ライトメイス+2
M_40
ヘビーメイス
M_41
ヘビーメイス+1
M_42
ヘビーメイス+2
M_43
モール
M_44
モール+1
M_45
モール+2
M_46
フレイル
M_47
フレイル+1
M_48
フレイル+2
M_49
ダート
M_50
ダート+1
M_51
ダート+2
M_52
スリング
M_53
スリング+1
M_54
スリング+2
M_55
ショートボウ
M_56
ショートボウ+1
M_57
ショートボウ+2
M_58
ロングボウ
M_59
ロングボウ+1
M_60
ロングボウ+2
M_61
ライトクロスボウ
M_62
ライトクロスボウ+1
M_63
ライトクロスボウ+2
M_99

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:29 pm 
Site Admin

Now that I thought about it some more, perhaps we should do a Just Breed style translation. As perviously discussed before, we could translate the name honorifics as titles which were very commonly used in the Middle Ages. "Beld-sama" would be "Lord Beld", "Parn-san" would be "Sir Parn" and "Deedlit-chan" would be "Miss Deedlit", etc. It wouldn't be that hard to figure out when we get started.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:15 pm 
Site Admin

Recca wrote:
Now that I thought about it some more, perhaps we should do a Just Breed style translation. As perviously discussed before, we could translate the name honorifics as titles which were very commonly used in the Middle Ages. "Beld-sama" would be "Lord Beld", "Parn-san" would be "Sir Parn" and "Deedlit-chan" would be "Miss Deedlit", etc. It wouldn't be that hard to figure out when we get started.
Works for me. Maybe when the little one goes down for his nap, Bongo` can rustle up some RLW fildes for you to fiddle with.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:48 pm 

Not to going to break in Bongo` Jr. early? :D

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:17 am 
Site Admin

KingMike wrote:
Not to going to break in Bongo` Jr. early? :D

Bah! My lttle gy is still not sleeping through the night yet. He's only going on 3 months though.
In due time these games will have effort and dedication to see to completion.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next