Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:10 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: <3
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:27 am 

I magically found Wildbill's post on CTC, and I gotta say...

Holy @#$%. Nice job guys!

I'm not much around the romhacking department these days, but I'll keep an eye on this.

Deltaflame / rwthw

Post subject: Re: <3
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:31 am 

By the way, I don't know how much of the script I got translated, I'll be more than happy to look around on my hard drive to see what I can find.

I know I got the spells, descriptions, item names, descriptions, menu, status, something or other. And a few blocks of text translated.

But this was pretty much back in like uhh.. 2006? 2005? I dunno, before I moved to Minnesota I believe.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:01 am 
Site Admin

rwthw wrote:

I'm not much around the romhacking department these days, but I'll keep an eye on this.

Deltaflame / rwthw
Good grief, Deltaflame... There you are, and you're still kicking!! Well, you were the original lead on this, so we'll keep you an honorary member of the team, at least. Yes, that for sure, and we'll certainly be happy to receive anything you can find in your files.

Ritchie has been doing dialogue files steadily, along with some map data and other tidbits, the same man who wrote the BH faq. Recca and LostTemplar have worked on some menus, descriptions, and such, and noname345 is also working on some files. FlashPV did a title page conversion recently. When Bongo` told me he had some ASM files for BH, I sent him my old Kanji table and gave him a nudge. We administered a little oxygen, and the next thing we knew, Ryuu and Gaou were living and breathing! Did you know we dumped 69 dialogue blocks total? This is one HUGE game!

Oh, and Sir Yoink re-emerged last year and said he was resuming work on Dark Half. It's fun to see people reappear now and again and start up old projects. So, keep in touch. If you still play RPGs, maybe we'll have this one close to ready by the end of the year. It's gonna be a good play, I think, with eight dramatic stories to tell and enjoy!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:29 pm 

Wildbill wrote:
rwthw wrote:

Deltaflame / rwthw
Good grief, Deltaflame... There you are, and you're still kicking!! Well, you were the original lead on this, so we'll keep you an honorary member of the team, at least. Yes, that for sure, and we'll certainly be happy to receive anything you can find in your files.

Ritchie has been doing dialogue files steadily, along with some map data and other tidbits, the same man who wrote the BH faq. Recca and LostTemplar have worked on some menus, descriptions, and such, and noname345 is also working on some files. FlashPV did a title page conversion recently. When Bongo` told me he had some ASM files for BH, I sent him my old Kanji table and gave him a nudge. We administered a little oxygen, and the next thing we knew, Ryuu and Gaou were living and breathing! Did you know we dumped 69 dialogue blocks total? This is one HUGE game!

Oh, and Sir Yoink re-emerged last year and said he was resuming work on Dark Half. It's fun to see people reappear now and again and start up old projects. So, keep in touch. If you still play RPGs, maybe we'll have this one close to ready by the end of the year. It's gonna be a good play, I think, with eight dramatic stories to tell and enjoy!

Well if anything, I really want my input to have this dedicated (at least on my part) in Tako's memory. Sure, when we worked on it the translation was terribly off, and when I released a partial patch it wasn't much better, but I had a lot of fun working on this back when I was a youngin'. I promised him a long time ago that this would be finished one day, I sure would have loved to see him enjoy it.

Let me know if you want/need any of my input. I haven't played the game in a long time but I (think) I still know most of the storyline, kind of =D

Deltaflame

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:05 am 

and by my input i mean, my little blurb in a readme, if I can put that in ^^;;;

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:16 pm 
Site Admin

rwthw wrote:
Well if anything, I really want my input to have this dedicated (at least on my part) in Tako's memory. Sure, when we worked on it the translation was terribly off, and when I released a partial patch it wasn't much better, but I had a lot of fun working on this back when I was a youngin'. I promised him a long time ago that this would be finished one day, I sure would have loved to see him enjoy it.

Let me know if you want/need any of my input. I haven't played the game in a long time but I (think) I still know most of the storyline, kind of =D

Deltaflame
Look up my dynamic-designs e-mail address in the admin area and send me your history input and anything else you wish to share. Later, if you want, once we have more advanced alpha patches with expanded playability of some of the eight characters, I'll have your e-mail address and can update you with patches to help us evaluate the story evolution. Once we have all the dialogue in hand, and formatted and loaded, the whole team will get involved with beta testing. You may participate in that process if you wish - whatever you have the time and inclination to do.

Also, I didn't know that one of the original BH team had died. Could you tell us a bit more about that on this board now? Our readme files tend to be longer than some, so feel free to tell the early story with as much detail as you wish. I am eager to hear it!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:32 pm 

Yeah, Takashi/Tako/ChiBTenchI, he used to go to CTC as well back when we were all working on the project, then the whole emupolice thingy happened, then he stopped romhacking and turned his focus to art. The original patch/screenshots of when we worked on it together, I'm not sure how/who did the translation work on it, if there was any, in fact I remember the very first preliminary work the main character was translated to "Duu" hahaha.

But Tako passed away last January, I believe it was from an aneurysm. Chojin was pretty good friends with him and was the one who broke the news to me.

I'll send you an email when I have some free time, I'm no longer the 16 year old adolescent I was when I first got into this thing so many years ago haha.

Deltaflame

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:55 pm 
Site Admin

rwthw wrote:
Yeah, Takashi/Tako/ChiBTenchI, he used to go to CTC as well back when we were all working on the project, then the whole emupolice thingy happened, then he stopped romhacking and turned his focus to art. The original patch/screenshots of when we worked on it together, I'm not sure how/who did the translation work on it, if there was any, in fact I remember the very first preliminary work the main character was translated to "Duu" hahaha.

But Tako passed away last January, I believe it was from an aneurysm. Chojin was pretty good friends with him and was the one who broke the news to me.

I'll send you an email when I have some free time, I'm no longer the 16 year old adolescent I was when I first got into this thing so many years ago haha.

Deltaflame
There are some familiar names I remember from the past - before I sort of checked out of the scene. When you mentioned Takashi, I knew who you meant. By all means - if the whole group and team agree - I would support dedicating our BH patch to Tako. At any rate, don't mourn the fact that some of our early translations were less than accurate or pristine during their early stages. I recently stated that we did the best we could during those days, using the knowledge and resources at our disposal. People who stepped up to meet the challenge, and then shared some of their efforts are to be commended. They should all be thanked, not condemned!

Believe it or not, I was 16-years-old once. I considered myself fairly sharp at the time, although I possessed considerably less experience, education, and achievements. From a purely physical standpoint, aging may have altered my physical appearance somewhat, but certain aspects of my mind remain intact from childhood.

I can see myself now during my final days in about 30 or 40 years, still writing game scripts if any SNES RPGs remain undone. Yes, I'll have this gadget at my bedside that Bongo` invented. I'll pick it up and see the game on one side and a sound-activated word processor on the other. I'll speak the new dialogue then utter, "Paste." Naturally, I'll want to use Byuu's plug-in that inserts voice into the expanded ROM, but I'll designate that my voice be substituted for Charleton Heston's or Zsa Zsa Gabor's, wherever applicable!

Then, Draken's face, who is signed into instant edit mode, will suddenly flash over my working side. "Who is this senile old fart who thinks he can still write stories at HIS age?" he will sputter. Heh, I'll just chuckle and mention the broken teapot! Then Bongo` will check in and I'll ask him if we can finish fixing the TnD title page and Intro in time for a 2025 release! Taskforce will keep tampering with the font, changing the CPL constantly, but my auto-format software will redraw the game screen display. I won't need to look up control codes all the time either or cut and paste from somewhere. I'll just place a gnarled finger on the spot and holler [newscreen]! Or, I may call it [nextscreen] - doesn't matter - the silly computer will know what I mean and do what it's supposed to do!

About that time, Red Soul's IM flash will report 25 edits in the previous chapter. I won't need to review a file, though. The software will have already auto-validated the edits. It won't matter anyway, every little detail. Players can speak their own dialogues into the game, paste their own faces into characters, and insert their own voices and sound effects at will. But they'll need our patch code to unlock and expand the Japanese ROM into a matrix that makes all of this possible.

Anyway, Deltaflame, you've got another home here at D-D, if you want. It's a much smaller operation than the CTC, but in many ways this makes it even better. Instead of inviting other groups to join, we take on a few manageable joint projects here and there. That way, we don't need to deal with the rancor that follows turning down someone who wants to bring in a group with an unsavory name. Nor do we experience the bad feelings that ensue whenever we invite someone productive to affiliate with us who decides not to join because he doesn't want to water down the alleged personal glory that goes with translating games.

I can't speak for the others, but I have reached a point in which the only thing that matters to me personally now is the camaraderie here, followed by the excitement of finishing one more English RPG! I hope you're doing well, Deltaflame. I believe Sir Yoink said he was married and had a family and such. Heh, even AsusP grew up, I heard somewhere, and was doing good things in his life and educational process, as many of us who have shared this hobby got around to doing... eventually.

BTW, we dedicated Mystic Ark to ChrisRPG, who became ill a couple of years ago while he was still actively translating games. Tragically, he did not recover.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:10 pm 
Site Admin

Wildbill wrote:
I can't speak for the others, but I have reached a point in which the only thing that matters to me personally now is the camaraderie here, followed by the excitement of finishing one more English RPG! I hope you're doing well, Deltaflame. I believe Sir Yoink said he was married and had a family and such. Heh, even AsusP grew up, I heard somewhere, and was doing good things in his life and educational process, as many of us who have shared this hobby got around to doing... eventually.

Same here! And by the way, welcome to the D-D board Deltaflame! It's great to see that the original project starter is here with us! WildBill is right, you shouldn't feel bad about your old translation patch. You guys did everything you could back then and you should feel proud of that. I mean, if it wasen't for you and the rest of the BH team back then, we might not be here today working on translating this game! And I would also support dedicating the finished BH patch in Tako's honor. He was part of the original BH team after all.

"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:27 am 

While true it was a very old patch and it came out right about the time we started getting into everything, there's literally 70 different versions of my BH rom with at one point a backup of changes, and some where I experimented with different things, I believe one of them I stole the equipment icons from final fantasy in a way to figure out how to put in item names (there's a weapon on there literally called Sword of the Kings, and with a current 8 letter limit on items, made it pretty hard.

As I said before, I'll look around on my computer to see what I can dig up on translation progress. I know I have the first 10 blocks somewhere translated, and about a total of 12 perhaps if I remember right, along with the item name and descriptions, quest outlines, etc.