Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:11 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 263 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 27  Next
Post subject: BH Dialogue Translation Progress
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:13 am 
Site Admin

Ritchie just e-mailed us a fully translated Block 04. I am fixing to format it and send it along to Bongo`. Ritchie also said go ahead and send him Block 05, which I did. Right now, we have two consecutive blocks finished in the Ryu scenario (02 and 03, by Ritchie) at the very beginning of the game.

I know Bongo` is busier than a one-armed paper hanger at the moment. Draken needs menu solutions up the gump-stump in Chaos Seed. Taskforce has some Hourai issues to resolve. I've been banging on Bongo` constantly with Slayers work, and now Recca, noname345, and I are getting highly anxious about BH as well! Not to mention that we need Portuguese and French font characters pasted into Feda for Red Soul and others.

Anyway, Burning Heroes possesses 69 dialogue blocks or banks total. Soon, only 66 of them will need translating, and many of those are just a page or so long. I am starting to feel very optimistic about this game! Does anyone know how to check at that other website and see if anyone ever did anything with our BH Title Page?

Post subject: Re: BH Dialogue Translation Progress
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:12 am 
Site Admin

I check that site all the time, but nobody helped us out yet...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:14 am 
Site Admin

I would personally just add "Nekketsu Tairiku Burning Heroes" above or below the Japanese text at the title screen and "Dynamic-Designs" + "Patch not for sale!" below where it says "Press Start".

By the way WildBill, is Block-000 and Block-001 translated yet? I'm curious since I have not heard mention of them. Whew, there sure are a lot of main script .txt files compared to the misc ones!

Man it's going to be great when we fully translate Burning Heroes! :mrgreen:

"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:14 am 
Site Admin

Recca wrote:
By the way WildBill, is Block-000 and Block-001 translated yet? I'm curious since I have not heard mention of them.
The reason I requested that Ritchie do 03 initially is because that is where the game actually starts as soon as you choose Ryu in the menu. Bongo` had asked me if we had any dialogue files done so he could start building an insertion system, so when Ritchie visited the board, I asked him if he would help us some, starting with 03.

We are very fortunate to have Ritchie doing at least three blocks for us. Naturally, I will send him as many files as he has the time to do - and is willing - but I don't want take advantage of his generosity. For that reason, I may try to tackle 01 and 02 myself, because I'm pretty sure they fall close to the beginning of the game where Ritchie has already been working. I am very, very slow, but I was close enough to the mark with a few Slayers files that I was able to work them into that game with just a bit of extra help. Of course, those were menu related, but it helps when I have a body of English in close proximity to what I'm attempting to translate.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:50 am 
Site Admin

No offense Wildbill, but this isn't a good idea for Japanese Dialog. Lists are one thing but dialog is another thing entirely. Japanese is a VERY complex language and doesn't translate well to English when all you have is a dictionary by your side (with little understanding of the language). I've seen many Many MANY attempts by people who think they'll be good enough to get the job done with a dictionary. Trust me, they never ever are. The translations are not only always inaccurate but most of the time not even remotely on target. As I say, lists are one thing. They're straight forward. Conversation is on a whole different level. I promise it will not work out well. And you'll just need to find a translator to check it (and then retranslate it due to many inaccuracies anyway)

Please do not think I'm being mean to you, just please trust me that I know what I'm talking about on this. If the game gets delayed. So be it, best to be delayed and right than hurried and not just because we got impatient. if you'd like some specifics on what I'm talking about, I'd be happy to talk about it in private.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:26 am 
I think it would be better to translate the title screen.

My point is that english patches are supposed to be played by people who don't know japanese, so there's no reason to leave it in japanese, since the player'll not understand what it means.

Last edited by Lalakoboldslayer on Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:53 pm 
Site Admin

taskforce wrote:
No offense Wildbill, but this isn't a good idea for Japanese Dialog. Lists are one thing but dialog is another thing entirely. Japanese is a VERY complex language and doesn't translate well to English when all you have is a dictionary by your side (with little understanding of the language). I've seen many Many MANY attempts by people who think they'll be good enough to get the job done with a dictionary. Trust me, they never ever are. The translations are not only always inaccurate but most of the time not even remotely on target. As I say, lists are one thing. They're straight forward. Conversation is on a whole different level. I promise it will not work out well. And you'll just need to find a translator to check it (and then retranslate it due to many inaccuracies anyway)

Please do not think I'm being mean to you, just please trust me that I know what I'm talking about on this. If the game gets delayed. So be it, best to be delayed and right than hurried and not just because we got impatient. if you'd like some specifics on what I'm talking about, I'd be happy to talk about it in private.

I agree with all of your reasoning completely, but sometimes we take necessary means to advance a work on a timely basis. I will never become bilingual or fluent. I must look up almost everything, and I still don't understand Japanese syntax very well or tenses at all. I must use about a half-dozen hard and soft copy means to tackle a group of strings in a scene. In that amount of time (six to ten hours or longer) I could easily polish the whole dialogue in a medium-sized town, so it is not an efficient use of my time, nor does it take advantage of my major strengths, but as I said...

NJStar has a feature now that pops up multiple Kanji usages right on top of the text file and sometimes even breaks it into Kana. If you can cross-reference to other Kanji with Furigana in something related such as a manual or strategy guide, you can sometimes nail the subjects and other nouns in a sentence precisely.

Next, it becomes a matter of working out verbs and finally tenses. Yes, and I paste words, phrases, and even whole strings into Jim Breen and also Babelfish. Babelfish is frequently gibberish, but surprisingly, it occasionally nails a whole string fairly exactly.

I also have several big hard book Japanese dictionaries, but I rarely use them any more.

Then I read a segment of a FAQ that describes the scene I'm writing. That can fill in a lot of holes in major plot elements.

That leaves playing through that section in the actual game. If the music is dramatic, scary, humorous, light-hearted, dark, forbidding, conveys danger, etc., you have the tone. If the game scenery reveals death, destruction, a rescue attempt, attainment of a goal, trouble brewing, a seminal event, happy interludes with butterflies dancing through the tulips, stormy weather with monster silhouettes flashing on dank castle walls, or whatever, you can now put everything together and the total story element becomes obvious.

But it's A LOT OF TIME CONSUMING WORK without a good raw translation to start from.

Last edited by Wildbill on Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:12 pm 
Site Admin

Out of all the online Japanese-English translators, I've found this site to be the most accurate:
:arrow: http://www.ocn.ne.jp/translation/

Select the second option above the white box where you paste your Japanese text (和英). Then click on translate (the top grey button to the right). The one below deletes the text you've written in the white space so that you can paste/write something else.

Although, it still has the bad habit of translating some jibberish, especially when it comes to jokes, expressions and fast talk. It does seem to do a better job than Google Translate most of the time. If you're busy WildBill, I could try and take a look over those three .txt files myself. I am studying Japanese after all so this would be good practise. As long as the dialogue is simple, I shouldn't really have a problem with it. Eh, we really need to find a full time fluent Japanese translator. Well, I'll see what I can do.

"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:15 pm 
Site Admin

Recca wrote:
Out of all the online Japanese-English translators, I've found this site to be the most accurate:
:arrow: http://www.ocn.ne.jp/translation/

Select the second option above the white box where you paste your Japanese text (和英). Then click on translate (the top grey button to the right). The one below deletes the text you've written in the white space so that you can paste/write something else.

Although, it still has the bad habit of translating some jibberish, especially when it comes to jokes, expressions and fast talk. It does seem to do a better job than Google Translate most of the time. If you're busy WildBill, I could try and take a look over those three .txt files myself. I am studying Japanese after all so this would be good practise. As long as the dialogue is simple, I shouldn't really have a problem with it. Eh, we really need to find a full time fluent Japanese translator. Well, I'll see what I can do.

Representative Japanese dump (from Slayers)

Block 039; (String #1)
POINTER = $00090682; Offset = $000901B2

この世に生を
受ける者,それは
すべて神の子です
教会に何のご用で来られた
のですか?

Your Site:

All person and that given
birth in this world are young
of a god
By what order could
I come to the church?

Babelfish Version:

The person who receives
raw to this world, is that
to come being your some
business in the church which
is the child of all God?

Inserted/edited Version:

All living beings are the
children of God. How may
the church serve you?

This is the first greeting of a priest in a church that offers the fairly standard services of Confession, Divine, Un-curse, and Cure. Therefore, it's a pretty easy string to work into a typical town backdrop.

So, as we all can see, this is another good translation tool that you provided in the link.

At this time, Recca, hold off on tackling blocks 001 and 002 until Bongo` makes some headway with designing the initial insertion system. By that time, maybe some of our questions and long range translation needs for Burning Heroes will be resolved. What I would like for you to do once we get rolling a little more is work through raw scenarios starting with Ryu's and standardize the naming conventions between yours and LostTemplar's lists and all of the script provided by Ritchie and possibly others who may contribute to the 69 dialogue files. This could be a few weeks or even months down the line, but we are finally starting to gain momentum. That's what counts!

We also have an issue with some Kanji missing in the script dump that relates to names. Ritchie pointed this out to me when he send Block 003 back last week, and I still need to run it to ground.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:19 am 

Since this is Thanksgiving, I want to give thanks to Ritchie for translating those blocks of Burning Heroes dialogue :D

Winston Churchill in response to forming an alliance with the Soviet Union during World War 2:
If Hitler invaded Hell I would make at least a favorable reference to the devil in the House of Commons

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 263 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 27  Next