Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:18 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Post subject: Re: Burning Heroes post release feedback
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:56 pm 

Wildbill wrote:
mziab wrote:
Just finished Laila's scenario. Thank you for releasing this translation. I like what I've seen from the story so far and only found one minor spacing issue. I'll let you know if I spot anything else.

By the way, is it just me, or do attacks in this game miss a lot? It's not uncommon for three of my attacks to miss in a row, which seems suspicious.
Typo fixed... Thanks!

Yes, miss rates are extremely high at times. It can be aggravating, but it seems to work both ways, especially in the beginning. It gets a little better when you can arm weapons and armor that increase agility.

Correct, if I recall correctly there are a few types of monsters that evade a lot of attacks. they are more susecptible (sp?) To magic however. Crabs are the first most will see at the beginning of the game. Better rewards though as they are a good source of xp or gold if you manage to kill them before they run away.

(Edit)

Also I would like to extend a huge gratitude to d-d for getting this completed! Good job guys!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:34 pm 
Site Admin

rwthw wrote:
Wildbill wrote:
mziab wrote:
Just finished Laila's scenario. Thank you for releasing this translation. I like what I've seen from the story so far and only found one minor spacing issue. I'll let you know if I spot anything else.

By the way, is it just me, or do attacks in this game miss a lot? It's not uncommon for three of my attacks to miss in a row, which seems suspicious.
Typo fixed... Thanks!

Yes, miss rates are extremely high at times. It can be aggravating, but it seems to work both ways, especially in the beginning. It gets a little better when you can arm weapons and armor that increase agility.

Correct, if I recall correctly there are a few types of monsters that evade a lot of attacks. they are more susecptible (sp?) To magic however. Crabs are the first most will see at the beginning of the game. Better rewards though as they are a good source of xp or gold if you manage to kill them before they run away.

(Edit)

Also I would like to extend a huge gratitude to d-d for getting this completed! Good job guys!
Heh, clearing the decks of this one has been an obsession of mine since I helped you with a table file and whatever else I could do so many years ago. I didn't know Bongo` back then, let alone know he was helping you also.

It really happened by accident. Right out of the blue (around the time Filler and we were working on Slayers), Bongo` or I mentioned BH in passing during a casual conversation, and boom! The "idea" of finishing it immediately caught fire.

Then, I asked Ritchie to help us with just one block so we could "test" the inserter. When I received that block, I gave it to Bongo` and asked him if he would build a rudimentary inserter and "test" Ritchie's block! (Is everyone starting to get the picture here!?)

Ritchie did Block 00 first, but that happened to be the game ending for all eight heroes. So, I asked Ritchie if he would do one more (Ryuu's block in Fire City), and he sent several more translated blocks that covered the beginning for additional heroes, including Gaou. It wasn't until Ritchie finished all of World-I with all eight characters that I knew he intended to translate the entire dialogue for us and later double check the miscellaneous block work of Recca and LostTemplar for consistency.

Through the first half dozen blocks or so, I'm not sure if Ritchie planned to translate the entire game at all. I kept thanking him for sending blocks, and he always responded by sending more blocks. It just sort of "happened".

The only other game from the old days that sticks in my craw a bit is Oni-II (The End of the Edo Period).

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:23 am 

I haven't gotten a chance to play this yet, but I'm sure you guys did a fantastic job, which I'll be able experience when I get the time.

If I can ever get my schedule to match up with the translator, Oni II would be the next logical step after releasing the first game.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:13 am 

Wildbill,

Have you been in contact with Ritchie since the patch was completed? I'm just curious of what he thought of the final product and if he is aware of how much his work was appreciated.

Winston Churchill in response to forming an alliance with the Soviet Union during World War 2:
If Hitler invaded Hell I would make at least a favorable reference to the devil in the House of Commons

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:25 am 
Site Admin

ultpaladin wrote:
Wildbill,

Have you been in contact with Ritchie since the patch was completed? I'm just curious of what he thought of the final product and if he is aware of how much his work was appreciated.
I haven't dropped him a line yet, but I should. Ritchie is a quiet fellow - a man of very few words. I imagine he stays so busy with a multitude of activities that he has little time for much else.

One thing I noticed about Ritchie right away was his precision. He always went back over his work as he progressed and learned more about the many cultures in the game. He sent me corrections to earlier blocks right up to the very end. By the time many of his corrections came in, the team had already solved most of the ambiguities such as gender and tense, but I still pored over each one carefully to make sure we didn't misinterpret a nuance.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:26 pm 

Spoiler! :
Just beat Black Mask A.K.A. Adam at the top of the Cosmonian Tower & the conversation with Deathwise brought up this segment of dialogue:

I'm pretty sure there's nothing wrong with it seeing as I wrote/typed out my post the same way without starting with a pronoun ("I" to be exact). But because there are two people talking (three if you include Deathwise but Adam & Ryuu are talking to him & not with him) the confirmation for if Ryuu was talking about himself or if he is telling Adam they both need to do something must be determined I think.

I know you guys released the patch days ago & I got it then but my new computer has really got me preoccupied with games my old one was unable to handle, most natably CitiesXL 2012 :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:58 pm 
Site Admin

CRV10 wrote:
Spoiler! :
Just beat Black Mask A.K.A. Adam at the top of the Cosmonian Tower & the conversation with Deathwise brought up this segment of dialogue:

I'm pretty sure there's nothing wrong with it seeing as I wrote/typed out my post the same way without starting with a pronoun ("I" to be exact). But because there are two people talking (three if you include Deathwise but Adam & Ryuu are talking to him & not with him) the confirmation for if Ryuu was talking about himself or if he is telling Adam they both need to do something must be determined I think.
Spoiler! :
Since Adam's ears are beaten back and he didn't want the Star Door closed in the first place, and since Deathwise is irritated because Ryuu disrupted his "useful idiot's" (Adam's) designs, Ryuu is merely speaking to himself. I would call this a clear case of "thinking out loud".

Spoken English, as you pointed out, does not require a subject-predicate combination; or at least, an incomplete sentence may stand with an implied subject or predicate. We used to diagram sentences with implied subjects in brackets. In other words, people speak frequently in sentence fragments, and stories may also be constructed in this style. Had this been a narrative script with no speaker attribution (Ryuu), rules of grammar would have required a subject.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:40 pm 

@Wildbill: Why didn't I think of that? :D

Spoiler! :
I really thought that that dialogue was still Ryuu talking to his father. Alas, another limitation of the media used to convey spoken communication. Had this game been like Live A Live where dialogue where presented in speech balloons & character's thoughts where presented in thought balloons telling the distinction would have been easier :)

By the by, I'm on Laila's story now :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:00 am 
Site Admin

Yeah most games use () to enclose thoughts to oneself. It really does need something to set it apart.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:03 am 
Site Admin

taskforce wrote:
Yeah most games use () to enclose thoughts to oneself. It really does need something to set it apart.
That was an easy fix - had space, too. Second edit since release. Thanks CRV10.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next