Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:11 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
Post subject: Burning Heroes Production and Storywriting Status
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:29 am 
Site Admin

Image Image Image

We are in excellent shape! I finished writing the 8th character's scenario in World-I just minutes ago.

I have now written everything that Ritchie has submitted into the English working ROM. This includes most of the story in World-I (of III) for all eight characters. I was able to write the stories for the four locked characters after Recca played a combination of the English working ROM and the Japanese ROM all the way through the confrontation with the final boss for the first four characters. This unlocked them, and his SRM opened the door for me to play and write the second four.

The only parts of World-I not translated at this time are certain scenes in the Star Relic at the very end of World-I for all eight characters. Following confrontations inside the Star Relic, all eight characters are transported by sailing ship automatically to World-II, and no return to World-I is possible at that time. None of World-II or III has been translated yet.

Menu work is not finished but refined to the point that game play is fully supported in English in World-I. Also, much of Worlds II and III is also playable in English - especially battles, shops, and menus. All we miss in English is the story, but speaking to certain characters in the latter two worlds may lock the English ROM until we insert translated strings for their applicable blocks.

Progress is now to the point that we have what I'm calling a fairly polished V0.25 for this game. Unlike many other projects, we will be able to plug in translated files as soon as they arrive and play, write, and polish those sections in the game immediately - if they are in order or we have a save that reaches them. Usually, a game refined to this point has all of the files already translated and plugged in (in their raw forms), but we spend months of continuous work wading through the whole game and fixing the glitches and freezes. This way, I must wait for more translated files before I can continue writing, but additional menu refinements can continue to be plugged in right along.

I will be sending the V0.25 to Recca and the core group later on tonight or tomorrow morning. At this time, for any of the rest of you besides Recca who want to play the eight characters in World-I, I am open to suggestions for improving the story or fixing anything you see that doesn't quite mesh. As for Recca, I know he will be playing the characters that were not written yet in the last revision I sent him, and he already knows what sort of reports I need. Cheers, gang!

Post subject: Re: Burning Heroes Production and Storywriting Status
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:05 am 

Wildbill wrote:
Unlike many other projects, we will be able to plug in translated files as soon as they arrive and play, write, and polish those sections in the game immediately - if they are in order or we have a save that reaches them. Usually, a game refined to this point has all of the files already translated and plugged in (in their raw forms), but we spend months of continuous work wading through the whole game and fixing the glitches and freezes. This way, I must wait for more translated files before I can continue writing, but additional menu refinements can continue to be plugged in right along.

Wow, yeah, that *is* nice. Editing is usually the very last step for me, after I've finalized all of the interfaces and everything. Stuff's usually either too unstable or just plain unplayable in the meantime :/ Although with a few projects (such as LUNAR and Holy Umbrella) I've done the fixes as I edit, which means the first bit of the game goes super slow, then the rest picks up the pace dramatically as things get ironed out!

Aeon Genesis ~ Guns guns guns! Yar ho hee har har!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:57 am 
Site Admin

Gideon Zhi wrote:
Wildbill wrote:
Unlike many other projects, we will be able to plug in translated files as soon as they arrive and play, write, and polish those sections in the game immediately - if they are in order or we have a save that reaches them. Usually, a game refined to this point has all of the files already translated and plugged in (in their raw forms), but we spend months of continuous work wading through the whole game and fixing the glitches and freezes. This way, I must wait for more translated files before I can continue writing, but additional menu refinements can continue to be plugged in right along.

Wow, yeah, that *is* nice. Editing is usually the very last step for me, after I've finalized all of the interfaces and everything. Stuff's usually either too unstable or just plain unplayable in the meantime :/ Although with a few projects (such as LUNAR and Holy Umbrella) I've done the fixes as I edit, which means the first bit of the game goes super slow, then the rest picks up the pace dramatically as things get ironed out!
Thanks! And yeah, compared to others, this game is very stable in the ROM department - as Lennus-II was after Bongo` cracked the coding... Heh, I see you still call it editing - not writing. Anyway, hey - if I remember correctly - aren't we supposed to be treated to something special by you when we finish BH!?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:24 am 

Brownies, yes! Although depending on how fast you move, it may have to wait. If you release BH in, say, a month's time (I know, I'm being very optimistic here) you'll have to wait 'til around Thanksgiving. I'm currently on an extremely restrictive diet and will be until roughly the 14th of November, and I am *not* baking brownies if I can't lick the spoon after I'm done. On the plus side, it only lasts for a month and a half - three weeks per phase - and not only does the weight come off very quickly, it *stays* off.

Which reminds me that I haven't had dinner yet tonight! I should fix that.

Aeon Genesis ~ Guns guns guns! Yar ho hee har har!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:38 am 
Site Admin

Gideon Zhi wrote:
Brownies, yes! Although depending on how fast you move, it may have to wait. If you release BH in, say, a month's time (I know, I'm being very optimistic here) you'll have to wait 'til around Thanksgiving. I'm currently on an extremely restrictive diet and will be until roughly the 14th of November, and I am *not* baking brownies if I can't lick the spoon after I'm done. On the plus side, it only lasts for a month and a half - three weeks per phase - and not only does the weight come off very quickly, it *stays* off.

Hee-hee-hee... Okay, we're not rushing Mr. Ritchie at all! So, sometime even next year may be ambitious, but start checking the postal rates for copious brownie shipments (and I hope most of the chocolaty stuff will be in the output - not in the spoon!) to: Virginia, Florida, Oklahoma, South Korea, Brazil, and wherever Ritchie and Recca reside!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:58 am 

Wildbill,

When you mentioned that a return to World 1 is not possible, does that mean you can never return to it or that you cannot return to it until much later in the game?

Winston Churchill in response to forming an alliance with the Soviet Union during World War 2:
If Hitler invaded Hell I would make at least a favorable reference to the devil in the House of Commons

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:20 am 
Site Admin

Brownies, through the mail? A nice thought, but it sounds like a real hassle in my opinion...

ultpaladin: When you reach World II, the player can never return back to World I. The game takes you directly to World II right after beating the last boss of World I at the Star Relic dungeon. In Ryuu's case, that would be Killy.

Way to go on the newest Burning Heroes progress report Wildbill! We're slowly molding this game in what will be a great release!

"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:33 am 
Site Admin

Gideon Zhi wrote:

Dieting!? That takes off weight and STAYS off? What is this technique you speak of?
I need this info because I amnow 236 lbs at 5'10". Not good! Would be if I were still in football shape. :( YAY for brownies! :)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:43 am 
Site Admin

Wildbill wrote:
Gideon Zhi wrote:

Hee-hee-hee... Okay, we're not rushing Mr. Ritchie at all! So, sometime even next year may be ambitious, but start checking the postal rates for copious brownie shipments (and I hope most of the chocolaty stuff will be in the output - not in the spoon!) to: Virginia, Florida, Oklahoma, South Korea, Brazil, and wherever Ritchie and Recca reside!

Not to side track, but I was wondering which font to use for Aretha 2. These are three choices I have so far...

Attachments:
File comment: This is 'Arial Bold'
AII-AB.png
AII-AB.png [ 25.71 KiB | Viewed 25282 times ]
File comment: This is 'Arial Italic Bold'
AII-AIB.png
AII-AIB.png [ 25.57 KiB | Viewed 25282 times ]
File comment: This is 'Lucida Casual'
AII-LC.png
AII-LC.png [ 22.54 KiB | Viewed 25282 times ]
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:15 am 
Site Admin

Bongo` wrote:
Wildbill wrote:
Gideon Zhi wrote:

Not to side track, but I was wondering which font to use for Aretha 2. These are three choices I have so far...
Ariel bold definitely! Look-it the CPL!! BTW, why does the italic seem a bit larger. Can we have both bold and italic? Wah!! Where's the test inserter!? Heh, I'm caught up with BH.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next