Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:01 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Post subject: Re: Burning Heroes Production and Storywriting Status
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:44 am 
Site Admin

Red Soul wrote:
Even though FF6 is by far my favorite SNES one, and features quite good graphics, I have to agree that static enemy sprites give it a RPG Maker feel.
Incidentally FF3 is my favorite NES one.

Heh, I really disliked FF6. Especially after the world change when it become a complete piece of rubbish. But I loved 4.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:30 am 
Site Admin

Yeah, I agree with Taskforce. Despite what most people say, I also think that FFIV is better than FFVI in pretty much all categories (especially characters and story). I'm comparing the SNES versions which I've played. By the way, what's up with those messed up numbers for this series? I mean, FFIV is also called FFII and FFVI is also called FFIII. Why did the game numbers get changed? I remember hearing once on a site that FFII and FFIII (Japan titles) were changed to FFIV and FFVI (respectively) in the U.S release, where as FFI (originally) didn't actually get released outside of Japan. Is this correct? I don't quite remember where I read this...

"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:04 pm 
Site Admin

Recca wrote:
Yeah, I agree with Taskforce. Despite what most people say, I also think that FFIV is better than FFVI in pretty much all categories (especially characters and story). I'm comparing the SNES versions which I've played. By the way, what's up with those messed up numbers for this series? I mean, FFIV is also called FFII and FFVI is also called FFIII. Why did the game numbers get changed? I remember hearing once on a site that FFII and FFIII (Japan titles) were changed to FFIV and FFVI (respectively) in the U.S release, where as FFI (originally) didn't actually get released outside of Japan. Is this correct? I don't quite remember where I read this...
Those numbers changes are true. The reason is that the original English releases were numbered sequentially, and so were the more numerous Japanese releases. Later, when FF-VII and FFV (in that order) were ported in English to the Playstation, matters got really confusing. Prior to that Japanese FF-I, FF-2, and FF-V were fan translated and retained their Japanese sequence numbers on their English patches. And a group translated FF-IVj and named the patch FF-IVe, but it was essentially the same game as FF-II Square release in the West. Thankfully, from FF-VII forward, the world numbering system has used the same numeral for a release in all languages.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:51 pm 

Almost, but not quite - we got FF1 (NES, as FF1), FF4 (SNES, as FF2) and FF6 (SNES, as FF3). 2j and 3j, both on the NES, as well as FF5 (snes) remained in Japan until the PlayStation era in FF2's case and the current generation in FF3's case.

Aeon Genesis ~ Guns guns guns! Yar ho hee har har!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:05 pm 

taskforce wrote:
Red Soul wrote:
Even though FF6 is by far my favorite SNES one, and features quite good graphics, I have to agree that static enemy sprites give it a RPG Maker feel.
Incidentally FF3 is my favorite NES one.

Heh, I really disliked FF6. Especially after the world change when it become a complete piece of rubbish. But I loved 4.

The only thing I can say I liked about 4 was Cecil as a character, maybe Kain too, but the rest was unimpressive.
As much as FF6 has loads of useless characters IMO (Umaro, Relm, Setzer, Strago).
I find Sabin, Edgar, Cyan, Celes and Terra are solid characters, and those are the ones I use anyhow.

The overall plot of FF6 may not be brilliant, but then I also found FF4 bland in that respect, with the exception of a few
characters that shine through. Also I hate the whole deal with forcing characters into your party at times.
One question, I found that the menus kind of lag in the GBA port of FF4, does this also happen in real hardware? can anyone confirm?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:09 pm 

Recca wrote:

I guess Square (now Square-Enix) tried to correct this mess by releasing the GBA ports of some of these games.
FF1, 2 ,4 ,5 and 6 got officially ported to GBA. They are quite solid ports at that, although the sound is not as good as the Snes originals.
Beats me why FF3 and FF4 was ported to the DS, I would have much preferred playing it on GBA as well.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:36 pm 
Site Admin

Red Soul wrote:
Recca wrote:

I guess Square (now Square-Enix) tried to correct this mess by releasing the GBA ports of some of these games.
FF1, 2 ,4 ,5 and 6 got officially ported to GBA. They are quite solid ports at that, although the sound is not as good as the Snes originals.
Beats me why FF3 and FF4 was ported to the DS, I would have much preferred playing it on GBA as well.

Because they aren't just any old port. Both are remakes from the ground up. IMO quite impressive ones too. Not like the PSX version which just slapped a couple ill timed movies into the fray.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:17 pm 

Hm point taken. I feel 5 and 6 deserve remakes as well then.
That said FF4HOL might just be the last DS venture Final Fantasy wise.
I don't like the art style of the FF DS remakes much, although its not as bad
as FF6 portrait art LOL.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:00 am 
Site Admin

I just released BH(e) V0.36 to part of the team. Here is some of what I told them:

1. All of World-I is finished in English, including the rest of the eight Star Relic scenes and all eight transitions to World-II scenes.
2. Sword Port in World-II is translated.
3. The Pre-Intro is in English now.
4. All of Ritchie's menu (misc) inputs have been factored in, many monster names fixed, etc.
5. All of Red Soul's corrections (on Ryuu and Laila) that are fixable at this time have been inserted.
6. Some of the menus have been fixed after inserting Ritchie's input.

What has not been fixed:

1. The Hotel and Item Shop in Water City both display the Hotel string, still.
2. The Status Icons.
3. Some of the menus, but nothing fatal.
4. The alignment and display of four letter names on the battle page.

For Bongo`:

1. The SNES9x V1.43 save state is of a Status affliction, as you requested.

Oh, and the Trade City Castle in World-II (Block 019) has been inserted.

I could have probably bumped the version number a few ticks higher with all of these changes, but I increased it by only one.

For the first time ever, I am totally caught up tonight with all of Ritchie's submissions and the team's errata reports.

In case anyone missed the video announcement, our preview is here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fl0X38IrzpA

Does anyone know how to make the embed or code work for videos on this board?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:08 am 

hey wild bill nice progress review you put up so far i love how you guy translated till the point you got done so far so good work to you and the others who are working hard on the game:)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next