Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:17 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next
Post subject: Re: Pakistan troops rescue thousands as river banks burst
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:43 pm 
Site Admin

The following - although a tragic human drama - is blatantly not on topic.

final wrote:
Pakistan (Reuters) - Pakistani troops, spearheading rescue and relief efforts in the worst floods in 80 years, evacuated several thousand people in two provinces overnight after flood waters burst through river embankments.President Asif Ali Zardari's civilian government has been overwhelmed by the disaster which has killed over 1,600 people, disrupted 12 million lives and ruined many crops vital for the agriculture-based economy. NHL jerseys
The military, which has maintained a dominant role in foreign and security policy even during civilian rule, has often stepped in to manage natural crises.
Saleh Farooqui, director general of the National Disaster Management Authority in Sindh province, told Reuters up to 10,000 people were evacuated overnight in Punjab province, and several thousand in Sindh. Rescue efforts were still under way.
Zardari drew heavy criticism for leaving the country for officials visits in Europe during the crisis. He has said the prime minister was handling the crisis and reporting developments to him.
Even though relief efforts may have improved the military's standing, and widened the perception that Pakistani civilian governments are too weak and inefficient to cope with disasters, analysts say a takeover bid is highly unlikely. cheap NFL jerseys
The army is busy fighting Taliban insurgents and does not want to be strapped with Pakistan's enormous problems -- from costly rebuilding after the floods to the struggle to attract foreign investment in a troubled economy to widespread poverty.
"I don't think they are willing to dump Zardari," said Kamran Bokhari, Regional Director, Middle East and South Asia at global intelligence firm STRATFOR. NFL jerseys
"The current army leadership ... is very clear that there is a war that needs to be waged."
Foreign aid organizations, also playing a much bigger role than the government, say weather has hampered relief efforts and the floods have wiped out some of their supplies.
Many people are still stranded, surrounded by huge tracts of water and more heavy rains are expected. Others have been evacuated from their villages but are living out in the open, with little food or drinking water.
In the agricultural heartland Punjab, hundreds of people were evacuated from drenched areas to a railway track on higher ground. A military helicopter was due to land to rescue them but could not due to poor weather.
"What we are wearing is all that we have, the rest is all gone - our house, animals, wheat we had stored, everything has been destroyed," university student said Fiza Batool as she fed her 10-year-old sister biscuits.
Floodwaters have roared down from as far away as Afghanistan and India through the northwest to the agricultural heartland of Punjab and on to southern Sindh along a trail more than 1,000 km (600 miles) long. wholesale NFL jerseys
Raging waters have spread for tens of kilometers from rivers, wiping out entire villages. All Pakistanis can do is try to gather logs which have not been washed away from their obliterated homes.
Heavy rain is expected to lash the country again raising the prospect that more homes and crops will be swept away.
Flooding has also taken a toll over the border in the Indian state of Jammu and Kashmir, where rain was hampering rescue and relief efforts. Flash floods have killed at least 132 people in the Himalayan region of Ladakh. hair straightener
Mudslides engulfed a town in northwest China on Sunday, killing at least 80 people and leaving 2,000 residents missing as rescue teams dug through crushed homes and readied a blast to dislodge debris blocking a river.

Post subject: Re: Script Translation Progress
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:53 pm 

Yes, I figure the forum messages need some pruning before we become an associated press hub rather than a fan translation forrum.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:21 am 
Site Admin

Hi guys! Miss me? Sorry for the long absence. If you're wondering what I've been doing this whole time I can tell you that some of it has been translation related. I'm writing tools to assist with translation. I've made myself a custom translation memory (way to store and retrieve previously translated phrases) and I'm in the process of slowly adding entries into the TM. My first culprit is of course Aretha II which I started adding a bunch of phrases from a few days ago. This should speed up translation when I switch from adding phrases to the TM, to using it to help me translate new stuff. I've been working on the TM on and off for months and I did a lot of work on it in the past couple of weeks. I still have a lot I'd like to do, but I'll probably try to start using it to help me translate more in the next few months. Anyway, just wanted to let you guys know that I haven't disappeared and that very little new progress has been made on Aretha II, however when I start on it again it may go more quickly due to the progress that's been made on developing tools.

PS: I also moved recently and started a new, better, higher paying job just 3 days ago.

The Devil takes notes from Lina Inverse? That sounds about right.

My projects
RHDN Community DB

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:11 am 

Good to hear you'll be earning more for your talents now and its really great news that
you managed to develop nifty tools to speed things up, way to go!
make sure to keep us posted of your latest developments, we're sure that with our
combined efforts Aretha 2 will be out of the door sooner than most expect, and with top notch quality.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:34 pm 
Site Admin

Yep, very nice to hear you're still kickin', and even prospering, to boot!

The rest of us have been in a production lull ourselves, game-wise, hoping Bongo` will favorably resolve certain personal matters soon. Everything here sort of needs his magic touch to get jump-started again.

Can't wait to hear how your translation tools pan out. They sound quite promising.

filler wrote:
Hi guys! Miss me? Sorry for the long absence. If you're wondering what I've been doing this whole time I can tell you that some of it has been translation related. I'm writing tools to assist with translation. I've made myself a custom translation memory (way to store and retrieve previously translated phrases) and I'm in the process of slowly adding entries into the TM. My first culprit is of course Aretha II which I started adding a bunch of phrases from a few days ago. This should speed up translation when I switch from adding phrases to the TM, to using it to help me translate new stuff. I've been working on the TM on and off for months and I did a lot of work on it in the past couple of weeks. I still have a lot I'd like to do, but I'll probably try to start using it to help me translate more in the next few months. Anyway, just wanted to let you guys know that I haven't disappeared and that very little new progress has been made on Aretha II, however when I start on it again it may go more quickly due to the progress that's been made on developing tools.

PS: I also moved recently and started a new, better, higher paying job just 3 days ago.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:07 am 
Site Admin

FYI: Progress is about 70-71%. Basically I translated another script block. This one was a big one though. :)

My projects
RHDN Community DB

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:20 am 
Site Admin

filler wrote:
FYI: Progress is about 70-71%. Basically I translated another script block. This one was a big one though. :)
Yay, Matt! You're the man!! Does the story still strike you pretty much as you reported previously?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:40 pm 
Site Admin

Wildbill wrote:
filler wrote:
Yay, Matt! You're the man!! Does the story still strike you pretty much as you reported previously?

Well, the story shouldn't be a problem to 'brighten' up with what you fellows can do. :)
I just wish the action could be spiced up to match the stories' potential. Great work, filler! If I can help out with another project, be it NES or SNES, let me know!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:55 pm 
Site Admin

Bongo` wrote:
Wildbill wrote:
filler wrote:

Well, the story shouldn't be a problem to 'brighten' up with what you fellows can do. :)
I just wish the action could be spiced up to match the stories' potential. Great work, filler! If I can help out with another project, be it NES or SNES, let me know!
This feisty, strong-willed woman sets out to save specific people then her whole kingdom, regardless of nearly everyone trying to hold her back, tell her it's too dangerous and tough for a woman, and keep her safe at home in the castle (my kinda woman - one who bucks all the odds in a tough world and wins through to success - as my own wife did in a profession long considered a man's domain - eventually upper-level management in law enforcement). With this backdrop, the story potential is amazing. Remember the Princess Alena story in Dragon Warrior-IV? All we need are Filler's accurate facts to build it upon.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:23 am 
Site Admin

Wildbill wrote:
Bongo` wrote:
Wildbill wrote:

This feisty, strong-willed woman sets out to save specific people then her whole kingdom, regardless of nearly everyone trying to hold her back, tell her it's too dangerous and tough for a woman, and keep her safe at home in the castle (my kinda woman - one who bucks all the odds in a tough world and wins through to success - as my own wife did in a profession long considered a man's domain - eventually upper-level management in law enforcement). With this backdrop, the story potential is amazing. Remember the Princess Alena story in Dragon Warrior-IV? All we need are Filler's accurate facts to build it upon.

The part I just did was a bit of a slog through stock dialog although there was an interesting bit with reincarnation... This game's somewhat conventional RPG script has just enough spice to keep things interesting. I think you will have something good to work with. To answer your question, my opinion hasn't changed.

My projects
RHDN Community DB

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next