Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:18 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Aretha-II English Production Progress
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:52 am 
Site Admin

Wildbill wrote:
filler wrote:
Fun fun. We do this for fun right? (Enter Montoya voice: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.) :)
Hee-hee... Well, Bongo` is looking into the crashes. I have experienced two more crashes since bypassing Zeckt Castle with the Japanese ROM. One is the "Consult Carl" crash. The other one is the "Tower of "Medinam" crash. Bongo` believes these glitches may be script file-related, including lack of formatting and blank entries for those unfinished RomText blocks that I gave you. No rush, though. I may try "dummying them up", as I call it, adding a few ascii entries to each RomText string. This trick worked to avoid crashes in Burning Heroes.

I was hoping I wouldn't have to do this, W/B, but it seems if you all are gonna write a full script I better find a way to crunch it all into the allowed space. I will try to add some sort of redirection
code or do the text like Chaos Seed was done. The CS way would require a rom expansion which I don't want to do. So maybe I'll try to do it the Mystic Ark or BH way... Who knows.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:13 am 
Site Admin

Bongo` wrote:
Wildbill wrote:
filler wrote:
Fun fun. We do this for fun right? (Enter Montoya voice: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.) :)
Hee-hee... Well, Bongo` is looking into the crashes. I have experienced two more crashes since bypassing Zeckt Castle with the Japanese ROM. One is the "Consult Carl" crash. The other one is the "Tower of "Medinam" crash. Bongo` believes these glitches may be script file-related, including lack of formatting and blank entries for those unfinished RomText blocks that I gave you. No rush, though. I may try "dummying them up", as I call it, adding a few ascii entries to each RomText string. This trick worked to avoid crashes in Burning Heroes.

I was hoping I wouldn't have to do this, W/B, but it seems if you all are gonna write a full script I better find a way to crunch it all into the allowed space. I will try to add some sort of redirection
code or do the text like Chaos Seed was done. The CS way would require a rom expansion which I don't want to do. So maybe I'll try to do it the Mystic Ark or BH way... Who knows.

Why are you so against rom expansion? Just curious. It isn't like we lose much with 1MB of space these days. Again, just curious, not trying to change your mind. We've discussed it before, but I'm still fuzzy on the details (probably because I forgot them.)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:35 am 
Site Admin

filler wrote:
Those are some clever crash bypassing techniques. Glad to hear you've been able to play some more. Thanks for reminding me about those files too. ^_^; I went ahead and translated about 1/3 of one of them this evening. It's kind of easy work, but there is just so much of it! It shouldn't take to long to get those finished though. I'll probably mix it with WtPC2, but I'd say they should be done in a couple weeks anyway.
That timing is good, but no pressure. A bit longer won't hurt.

Well, I worked off and on all day long after Bongo` fixed the Akin bug. I have a semi-polished rendition of the first Zecht Castle chapter now. These conversations set the plot for the entire game, rather like the end of Chapter 2 did in Feda. I am really charmed by this game now. A major twist occurs early on.
Spoiler! :
As Lina appears to have amnesia at the beginning of Slayers, and the answer turns out to be something entirely different, Aretha-II throws the gamer a curve ball early in the game that's almost as dramatic.
In fact, it caught me totally by surprise!

So, I've been working my tail off with the story to make this game play better than routine fare. Remember when you mentioned that impression? So, I'll upload this evening's working ROM for everyone. If you have a save or a state just short of Zeckt Castle, play through the Akin encounter and tell me what you think.

Spoiler! :
Image Image

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:57 am 
Site Admin

Bongo` wrote:
Wildbill wrote:
filler wrote:

So, send e-mail ask cut story like mad can do...

.Text
See [Name$01] run...[newl]
Run [Name$01] run![newl]
[Name$01] catch bad[newl]
monster kill dead![keyp][clrs]
.EndT

Heh, if expand, no complain!

Hee-hee...!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:22 am 
Site Admin

The space storage problem for the block group at the start of the game has been solved by Bongo` This seems to have stopped the crashes, at least, up to the Port of Loowan. Yay, Bongo`!

Also, Filler has finished one of two remaining ROMText files, a translation of all the pages in a Monster Book. Thanks, Filler! When he completes a large ROMText block containing weapons and items descriptions, all of the translations should be completed.

Meanwhile, Taskforce is working on character development, bug fixes, and smoothing out various rough edges in the first 20% of the game.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:32 pm 
Site Admin

Yay! That's good news! I'm still trying to find time to plug away more at the remaining SS-2 scripts I have to edit... It's getting harder and harder.. Damn Xenoblade is taking up far too much of my time. I'll be happy (well... not really) when it's done with!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:08 am 
Site Admin

Draken wrote:
Yay! That's good news! I'm still trying to find time to plug away more at the remaining SS-2 scripts I have to edit... It's getting harder and harder.. Damn Xenoblade is taking up far too much of my time. I'll be happy (well... not really) when it's done with!
Ah, enjoy Xenoblade to the fullest. Whenever you have it ready for me to do some more work, that timing will be fine.

I plan to surge on anything in hand between now and Christmas - knock out as much as I can to help get everything ready for final drafts and testing. Right now, Burning Heroes is offering me plenty of writing work. With Ritchie's pace seeming to pick up lots of steam, that amazing game is surging forward so fast, my head is spinning!

Hey, it's fun and exciting times with four games on a good pace now and Princess Minerva about to gear up! In fact, just as a heads up and looking ahead to future work, I'm starting to see the need for a few more script dumps in the on deck circle and in hand soon. Aretha-I, the two Albert Odysseys, and Lodoss War - for example - come to mind.

If Filler agrees, I am also looking for a contributor to help us build an international font into Slayers.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:18 am 

How's Xenoblade Draken? I just ordered it and will hopefully get it before October.

Winston Churchill in response to forming an alliance with the Soviet Union during World War 2:
If Hitler invaded Hell I would make at least a favorable reference to the devil in the House of Commons

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:50 am 
Site Admin

Really, really good! It has TONS of quests to do, and they're what's been taking me so long to get through the game. Also, the location maps are friggin' enormous! One area took me maybe 1.5 hours just to swim around the perimeter... Love it!

The story keeps getting better and better too. At first, it was very light and easy to follow, but then they started introducing elements that made it feel much more like something that Monolith Soft is known for making. Anyone who has a Wii that they can Mod should definitely import this game. Best RPG I've played in years.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:38 am 
Site Admin

Draken wrote:
Really, really good! It has TONS of quests to do, and they're what's been taking me so long to get through the game. Also, the location maps are friggin' enormous! One area took me maybe 1.5 hours just to swim around the perimeter... Love it!

The story keeps getting better and better too. At first, it was very light and easy to follow, but then they started introducing elements that made it feel much more like something that Monolith Soft is known for making. Anyone who has a Wii that they can Mod should definitely import this game. Best RPG I've played in years.

It's for the Wii? Nintendo don't get RPGs anymore or am I too far disconnected. This might not even be an RPG. O_o disregard my comment.