Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:16 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Out of bytes? (Spoilers, maybe?)
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:03 pm 
Site Admin

Actually, that was a REALLY strange error. One particular file was causing it. And it wasn't out of space related. I could add bytes or remove bytes. But at that specific size it was at, it caused that issue. I figure it was compression related. Sometimes oddities happen with compression.

I've had similar unexplainable issues happen on other games for no particular reason. Same thing happened on Princess Minerva once or twice during the final editing. Make a slight change and chaos would break loose, even though the change should work just fine. The problem is, we don't know what bugs the original code had that might unintentionally mess with our additions/changes even under the best circumstances. Odd things can happen at times even when everything is actually properly done on our part.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:19 pm 
Site Admin

taskforce wrote:
Actually, that was a REALLY strange error. One particular file was causing it. And it wasn't out of space related. I could add bytes or remove bytes. But at that specific size it was at, it caused that issue. I figure it was compression related. Sometimes oddities happen with compression.

I've had similar unexplainable issues happen on other games for no particular reason. Same thing happened on Princess Minerva once or twice during the final editing. Make a slight change and chaos would break loose, even though the change should work just fine. The problem is, we don't know what bugs the original code had that might unintentionally mess with our additions/changes even under the best circumstances. Odd things can happen at times even when everything is actually properly done on our part.
This being the case, I'm really happy you were able to isolate the issue and fix it. I guess PM gave you a pretty good tune-up for dealing with such. I suppose that lead string really was a bug alert to writers. I've been handling this game with kid gloves for years. Happy it's out the door!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:35 pm 
Site Admin

Wildbill wrote:
taskforce wrote:

This being the case, I'm really happy you were able to isolate the issue and fix it. I guess PM gave you a pretty good tune-up for dealing with such. I suppose that lead string really was a bug alert to writers. I've been handling this game with kid gloves for years. Happy it's out the door!

I'll be honest, I'm REALLY hesitant to touch Aretha I because of this very thing. But, I guess I'll give it a spin. I remember it was even touchier.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:53 am 
Site Admin

taskforce wrote:
Wildbill wrote:
taskforce wrote:

I'll be honest, I'm REALLY hesitant to touch Aretha I because of this very thing. But, I guess I'll give it a spin. I remember it was even touchier.
It's up to you and Bwah117. We know it plays well in its current form. A-I was fragile in places, but A-II always seemed just a hair touchier.