Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:04 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Hidden Items in Aretha II...
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:27 am 
Site Admin

Bwah117 wrote:
To be honest, I have no idea, reason being that there's quite a few hidden items in the game (including some I have not found yet). Ideally, I'd like to wait until I've found everything, but that's not very realistic (there's a lot of hidden items). I've been through the game three times, so if you'd like to take a look at the things I've found so far, you can download this file:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/v43923ib ... 9.zip/file

It's not a guide, though, as it's mainly just screenshots of where each item is (the pictures are all labeled, and that includes the item name (usually shown) and the place where it's found). There's several things I'm still actively searching for, and if/when I find them, I'll update this. If I'm able to find a few more things, I'll go ahead and make a guide. As it is, though, I'm not sure there's enough to warrant a guide. We'll see how it goes :)

I like how regular items are hidden in Aretha II...what I don't like, however, is the annoying game mechanic that has your party automatically moving when you press 'into' a wall/item/etc. That makes searching items a bit frustrating, as you'll usually press 'into' the item, say, a crate, only to have your party move AROUND it. You get used to it, I suppose, but it makes searching for these things more difficult than it should be.

Anyway, if anyone wants to make sure they haven't missed anything, take a look at the file. Heck, if you or anyone finds anything not in the file, feel free to post your find here, as it would be nice to have as complete a list of hidden items as possible, all in one place.
I went ahead and zipped three file types together of the Aretha-II Items and uploaded them into our D-D domain.

http://www.dynamic-designs.us/aretha2/Aretha-II_%20Item_List.zip

I added the rtf extension because someone told me once it was handy due to being compatible with MS WordPad. One thing, though; I lost the ability to "quick click" to locations using the .rtf version, but scrolling still works fine.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:33 pm 
Site Admin

Keep in mind some items might actually not exist in the game (just like there are a couple monsters in the monster list that aren't in the game.)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:26 pm 

Thanks, Wildbill! I'm sure that'll help people out. The more file formats it's available in, the better. To be honest, the clickable links aren't really necessary...I just find that it's easier to find things with them, especially in a lengthy document. There aren't that many items in Aretha II, but there may be players who are only missing, say, the 'Trinea'. It's nice to be able to immediately jump to the section you want, instead of scrolling through the entire document. Well, then again, there's the "Find" feature, which also saves time.

Taskforce: Tell me about it...
Spoiler! :
I did a 'string search' through the rom and found a reference I have not seen anywhere in the game, in any of my four complete plays through it: "There's a key hanging here." That line appears in the same block of text as the lines that correspond to Shakra, so I carefully searched everything in Shakra (I didn't find any key, however). It's possible this may be an unused line. That's how I found Mixed Form NPC's #5 and #6, by the way. Another string search showed their lines in blocks of text corresponding to Milbatos and Argento Tower, so I concentrated my search there...since I was nearly at the end of the game, the necessary requirements were already met, so I found them there. A little further testing revealed the necessary requirements.

I recall you mentioned something about another monster called the "Titan", which doesn't appear in the game either. Well, it's possible he may be a hidden monster...you see, there's an item hidden in Bihar, it's called a "Devil's Ocarina", which summons monsters. I was thinking that maybe, just maybe, if I were to use the "Devil's Ocarina" in a certain place, "Titan" might appear, but that's a bit of a long shot. To make matters worse, the "Devil's Ocarina" is an item which can only be used once, then it disappears. "Titan" will probably never appear in the game, but it's still interesting.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:49 am 

Thanks for putting this together. Really helpful.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:24 am 

umegamer wrote:
Thanks for putting this together. Really helpful.

You're welcome, and I hope it's useful to you. Some of the items in Aretha II are VERY well hidden, so most players would end up missing a lot of things in the game (which is the main reason for this list :) )