Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:25 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Just a quick update on the status of Aretha II and Beta.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:40 pm 
Site Admin

Glad my beta tester wanted to test it one final time, we had a game breaking glitch pop up where a block of text ran out of memory on the SNES to store it that I had to correct. Unfortunately, if you ever wondered how bugs happen when something has been beta tested. It is because we don't have the resources typically to beta test for a second round and catch anything accidentally introduced while doing fixes the first time. I want to give special thanks to this beta tester for doing a second round so we could catch this before release. He has kept his involvement private so I won't release his name. If he wants to, he can tell you who he is but a HUGE thanks for the hard work. You are the hardest working most dedicated beta tester I could ever ask for. And not to be overshadowed, my other two beta testers also did excellent work. Thank you Draken and MariusB for all you did as well. Definitely not trying to slight you guys either. A great team all around and it was a pleasure to work with you all.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:29 pm 
Site Admin

I told you he was the best, and I meant it ;)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:51 pm 

Hi, taskforce and Draken! Thanks for the kind words, both of you, but I'm just glad to help. Also, thanks, Draken, for the info you passed along regarding some of the hidden items. It really was invaluable, as I was on a wild goose chase searching EVERYWHERE. I would have reached out to MariusB, but I haven't really interacted with him that much and felt it would be a bit awkward to ask him.

As for keeping my involvement private...well, it might seem like that, but, in truth, I asked about beta testing in a private message so you wouldn't feel like you were put on the spot publicly (in case you declined). You see, my...zeal...tends to put people off, and I wanted to make sure you were comfortable having me on the beta test team :) I'm glad to have been a part of the beta test team. Thanks, Draken and MariusB...it's funny, though...a lot of the things I flagged for correction were already corrected by the time I submitted them, so some of the items on my reports were unnecessary (well, better safe than sorry). Great job, guys!

Also, good news: I'm done with the final play through the game, so check your e-mail a bit later today, taskforce. Unsurprisingly, there's not much in need of fixing, but there's still a handful of items here and there.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:42 am 

Looking forward to this! I'm going to play through the first game to prepare for this! :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:40 pm 
Site Admin

Unless something unforeseen comes up. It will be out at some point this week.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:23 pm 
Site Admin

Bwah117 wrote:
Hi, taskforce and Draken! Thanks for the kind words, both of you, but I'm just glad to help. Also, thanks, Draken, for the info you passed along regarding some of the hidden items. It really was invaluable, as I was on a wild goose chase searching EVERYWHERE. I would have reached out to MariusB, but I haven't really interacted with him that much and felt it would be a bit awkward to ask him.

As for keeping my involvement private...well, it might seem like that, but, in truth, I asked about beta testing in a private message so you wouldn't feel like you were put on the spot publicly (in case you declined). You see, my...zeal...tends to put people off, and I wanted to make sure you were comfortable having me on the beta test team :) I'm glad to have been a part of the beta test team. Thanks, Draken and MariusB...it's funny, though...a lot of the things I flagged for correction were already corrected by the time I submitted them, so some of the items on my reports were unnecessary (well, better safe than sorry). Great job, guys!

Also, good news: I'm done with the final play through the game, so check your e-mail a bit later today, taskforce. Unsurprisingly, there's not much in need of fixing, but there's still a handful of items here and there.
Regarding Aretha-I, I know I left you hanging a few years ago. This was not due to your zeal. Rather, it was major life circumstances on my end - the death of my mother. I was her guardian - both her and a disabled brother that she took care as long as she could. I became his guardian, too, and along with the rest of my immediate family, we needed quite some time to get the estate and my brother settled. I simply had to disconnect suddenly from so many other interests.

Within my archives, I probably still have your suggested changes in the early going of Aretha-I. What I still don't have is much time. Now, I'm in the midst of a major life transition of my own - both my wife and I together. It's all good - except I still don't have any game time. Specifically, I'm shutting down my primary residence for the past 14 years - happily, on purpose, and long anticipated, I might add!

So, I'm offering this - if TF is willing to help manage things. I can send the latest structure for Aretha-I back over to TF, if you want to go through the whole game - as you started to do - and make changes you deem enhancing. Since you have worked on Aretha-II very recently, everything is fresh, and this process could fine-tune both games to a highly consistent level. It's up to TF and you. You both know how much time and interest you have. After I haul a few truck loads of belongings to other quarters during the next few weeks, I hope to finally steal some game time and get another one of our works released.

Thanks for all you've done. Now that you've emerged from the shadows, as far as my feelings go - and in respect to your contributions - I consider you one of us.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:27 pm 
Site Admin

taskforce wrote:
Glad my beta tester wanted to test it one final time, we had a game breaking glitch pop up where a block of text ran out of memory on the SNES to store it that I had to correct. Unfortunately, if you ever wondered how bugs happen when something has been beta tested. It is because we don't have the resources typically to beta test for a second round and catch anything accidentally introduced while doing fixes the first time. I want to give special thanks to this beta tester for doing a second round so we could catch this before release. He has kept his involvement private so I won't release his name. If he wants to, he can tell you who he is but a HUGE thanks for the hard work. You are the hardest working most dedicated beta tester I could ever ask for. And not to be overshadowed, my other two beta testers also did excellent work. Thank you Draken and MariusB for all you did as well. Definitely not trying to slight you guys either. A great team all around and it was a pleasure to work with you all.
This aggravating glitch happened to me mid-game writing the first draft. Bongo` fixed it in a place where you enter one of the port towns and your dealing with an adversary in a warehouse of some kind. I hope it doesn't pop up in new places randomly as an unpredictable bug!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:14 pm 

Wildbill wrote:
Regarding Aretha-I, I know I left you hanging a few years ago. This was not due to your zeal. Rather, it was major life circumstances on my end - the death of my mother. I was her guardian - both her and a disabled brother that she took care as long as she could. I became his guardian, too, and along with the rest of my immediate family, we needed quite some time to get the estate and my brother settled. I simply had to disconnect suddenly from so many other interests.

Within my archives, I probably still have your suggested changes in the early going of Aretha-I. What I still don't have is much time. Now, I'm in the midst of a major life transition of my own - both my wife and I together. It's all good - except I still don't have any game time. Specifically, I'm shutting down my primary residence for the past 14 years - happily, on purpose, and long anticipated, I might add!

So, I'm offering this - if TF is willing to help manage things. I can send the latest structure for Aretha-I back over to TF, if you want to go through the whole game - as you started to do - and make changes you deem enhancing. Since you have worked on Aretha-II very recently, everything is fresh, and this process could fine-tune both games to a highly consistent level. It's up to TF and you. You both know how much time and interest you have. After I haul a few truck loads of belongings to other quarters during the next few weeks, I hope to finally steal some game time and get another one of our works released.

Thanks for all you've done. Now that you've emerged from the shadows, as far as my feelings go - and in respect to your contributions - I consider you one of us.

Hello, Wildbill, and congratulations on another fine D-D release! While not perfect, it's close - really close. Also, thank you for your clarification regarding Aretha I...not that one was necessary, but I wasn't sure if you simply hated all my suggestions, or there were other circumstances involved. In any case, I understand how life can be sometimes, and interests like this must take a back seat to real life issues at times. Oh, and, when I mentioned that my zeal puts people off, I was speaking generally, not about you. It's unusual to see someone who takes games so seriously, so I think most people's reaction is to slowly back away from this guy :)

Regarding your Aretha I offer...if Taskforce is willing and has the time, sure, that sounds like a great idea. I actually played Aretha I in preparation for the upcoming Aretha II beta test, so as to have everything fresh in my mind. Thanks for considering this, by the way...most people in charge of a project typically don't want anyone else involved in said project at such a high level, so that's refreshing to see. It's obvious that you trust Taskforce (from working with him, I can see why). Anyway...touch bases with Taskforce, as this would be highly dependent on him.

As for considering me one of your own...thank you. Even though I'm not an official D-D member, over the years I've enjoyed working with all of you, and I've even come to think of myself as a...sort of 'unofficial' member, if that makes any sense :) Anyway, thanks again.