Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:31 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: I need help with the patch...I'm hopeless :cry:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:55 pm 

The 7th Saga has been one of my favorite games of all time. I first started playing it when I was a kid, I played it over and over, hunted for every bit of text I could find, killed monsters until I fell asleep only to wake up and finish the battle I fell asleep on. I searched every bush, wall, pile of pots, book shelves, dresser drawer, bed, fountain, every nook and cranny (in every town). I would go to every town after moving one step further along the story line and talk to every npc to see if the ever said anything different. I would also look for other apprentices and see what they had to say. Found every secret there is, played every part of all aspects of the game, all this while I was twelve years old. I love the 7th Saga. The story, the combat, the spells...very few games have held so much intrigue over me. I am now almost 30 and still think very highly of the 7th Saga.
I knew of the Japanese title "Mystic Ark" a long time ago and only ever dreamed of playing it. I always wished I would. Now that dream is attainable...nearly. ALAS! I am not gifted with a plethora of computing skills. For the last week I've been putting much effort into searching forums, reading guides(text files that come with the patch), trying to learns words and terms new to me(interleaved, de-interleaved, headered, un-hearded) for a means to play Mystic Ark. I have poured hours upon hours of everyday for a week into getting Mystic Ark playable in an English version, but I am defeated now. I can do no more on my own. This is a terrible blow to me. The screenshots of the game I see so fully entice me. How I would love to play this game, which I have only dreamed about since I was a kid. It's like a grand prize, long sought for, only to be unfairly snatched away at the last second. Curses to my lack of "computing" knowledge! Nevertheless, I do not find that my time spent has been wasted. I have found this forum and you fine people.
I most humbly request help for the task of making Mystic Ark playable in an English version. I would need step by step instructions and most likely a good deal of your patients. I apologize for coming across as some random guy looking for others to do my own work for me. But as I said above “I can do no more on my own.” All I’ve been doing on my own has led me in circles, I always find that somehow I have ended up on the same sites and forums (though through different search patterns). It seems to me this team here seems the most knowledgeable and friendly. So I come to you for your help. This is somewhat of a last resort. Here is what I have…
-multiple ROMs of Mystic Ark
-multiple patches of Mystic Ark translation
-multiple snes emulators
-plenty of time
If you can help me fully or at least point me in the right direction I would be most appreciated. Thank you for reading this post, Jer.
P.S. If I come across as old school RPG obsessive, it’s because I am :mrgreen:

*edited grammer and punction mistakes*

Post subject: Re: I need help with the patch...I'm hopeless :cry:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:56 am 
Site Admin

Jer wrote:
The 7th Saga has been one of my favorite games of all time. I first started playing it when I was a kid, I played it over and over, hunted for every bit of text I could find, killed monsters until I fell asleep only to wake up and finish the battle I fell asleep on. I searched every bush, wall, pile of pots, book shelves, dresser drawer, bed, fountain, every nook and cranny (in every town). I would go to every town after moving one step further along the story line and talk to every npc to see if the ever said anything different. I would also look for other apprentices and see what they had to say. Found every secret there is, played every part of all aspects of the game, all this while I was twelve years old. I love the 7th Saga. The story, the combat, the spells...very few games have held so much intrigue over me. I am now almost 30 and still think very highly of the 7th Saga.
I knew of the Japanese title "Mystic Ark" a long time ago and only ever dreamed of playing it. I always wished I would. Now that dream is attainable...nearly. ALAS! I am not gifted with a plethora of computing skills. For the last week I've been putting much effort into searching forums, reading guides(text files that come with the patch), trying to learns words and terms new to me(interleaved, de-interleaved, headered, un-hearded) for a means to play Mystic Ark. I have poured hours upon hours of everyday for a week into getting Mystic Ark playable in an English version, but I am defeated now. I can do no more on my own. This is a terrible blow to me. The screenshots of the game I see so fully entice me. How I would love to play this game, which I have only dreamed about since I was a kid. It's like a grand prize, long sought for, only to be unfairly snatched away at the last second. Curses to my lack of "computing" knowledge! Nevertheless, I do not find that my time spent has been wasted. I have found this forum and you fine people.
I most humbly request help for the task of making Mystic Ark playable in an English version. I would need step by step instructions and most likely a good deal of your patients. I apologize for coming across as some random guy looking for others to do my own work for me. But as I said above “I can do no more on my own.” All I’ve been doing on my own has led me in circles, I always find that somehow I have ended up on the same sites and forums (though through different search patterns). It seems to me this team here seems the most knowledgeable and friendly. So I come to you for your help. This is somewhat of a last resort. Here is what I have…
-multiple ROMs of Mystic Ark
-multiple patches of Mystic Ark translation
-multiple snes emulators
-plenty of time
If you can help me fully or at least point me in the right direction I would be most appreciated. Thank you for reading this post, Jer.
P.S. If I come across as old school RPG obsessive, it’s because I am :mrgreen:

*edited grammer and punction mistakes*

Holy cow, Jer...! You're almost as verbose as I.

Anyway, download the link and report back the minute you are inside the shrine with a controllable character.

*Links removed*

Last edited by Wildbill on Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:15 am 

Wow, thank you for getting on this so quickly. I am downloading the link you made this very moment....it may take awhile, I have a very slow connection due to using satalite DSL...in the middle of Alaska...in a bush town...it's also snowing. I will let you know as soon as I am in the shrine. Thank you for your time and consideration.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:30 am 

I'm in! I'm in the shrine! I'm actually playing Mystic Ark! I almost can't belive it. The graphics are great (as I judge it) the music is fantastic, the menu is far more advanced (I'm happy to see "search" as an option) I can't wait to battle my first set of monsters and boss. I can tell from the beggining text that the story will be very rich and full.
As I play and write this at the same time, I have noticed on itsy bitsy tinyist of all details that dosen't matter much, at the beggining you are asked to "select your gender" and I (being male) selected male. on my status screen I get my name"Jeremiah" with a picture of a young blond woman...oh well, I don't mind cause I'm finally playing! Thank you Dynamic Designs and thank you Wildbill for showing me the way. You have my respects and gratitude, I am deeply in your debt.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:54 am 
Site Admin

Hehe. That blond guy is the male character.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:13 am 
Site Admin

Jer wrote:
I'm in! I'm in the shrine! I'm actually playing Mystic Ark! I almost can't belive it. The graphics are great (as I judge it) the music is fantastic, the menu is far more advanced (I'm happy to see "search" as an option) I can't wait to battle my first set of monsters and boss. I can tell from the beggining text that the story will be very rich and full.
As I play and write this at the same time, I have noticed on itsy bitsy tinyist of all details that dosen't matter much, at the beggining you are asked to "select your gender" and I (being male) selected male. on my status screen I get my name"Jeremiah" with a picture of a young blond woman...oh well, I don't mind cause I'm finally playing! Thank you Dynamic Designs and thank you Wildbill for showing me the way. You have my respects and gratitude, I am deeply in your debt.

I believe you have the correct sprite. Both characters have longish hair, but Remeer is wearing pants and Ferris appears to have a braid down her back and a dress. Check out the images:

Image Image

Anyway, Jer, I have given you a copy of our unreleased beta that plays on any system. As such, I would like for you to be the first player in the world to test it for us and report back anything you believe we should know about, right here. On the remote chance that you encounter a problem, we can always give you our proven release that plays quite well on the latest ZSNES and older SNES9x's. Your saves in version 1.01 should be interchangeable, but this is the best version for you to play because it incorporates all of the needed fixes that were reported by players of MA V1.00. BTW, I have beaten the version you have on the NDS emulator for SNES, and other team members have beaten V1.01 using BSNES.

One word of caution though. The version you have does not have the debugger removed. I won't tell you how to access the debugger, but should you "find" it, I would advise you to be careful because certain debugger functions will crash the game, not to mention that the game is much more fun without shortcuts or cheats.

Since you like to scope out everything, let me tell you about a world you will enter mid-game. It has two characters named Edison and Einstein. Toward the end of that world you will find a machine that synthesizes new equipment and items by mixing unneeded equipment and items from your present inventory. We have never found the formula to all of the items we believe it's possible to produce, so here is a challenge for someone who likes to be thorough!

That's all I can think of to tell you right now, Jer, so enjoy! I'm glad the snow didn't obstruct your satellite download.

Alaska, hmmm... Tell Sarah Palin I'm still in love with her, and if she and I weren't already married to other people, I'd..... *Slaps self...!!* Shadup, Wildbill...! This is a family program!!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:27 am 

Wow we have people from all over the world here on this board. I actually have a friend from school that moved from Fairbanks Alaska a few years back and everything north of that is largely wilderness with a few small towns scattered around. Must be a totally different way of life compared to where I am.

Winston Churchill in response to forming an alliance with the Soviet Union during World War 2:
If Hitler invaded Hell I would make at least a favorable reference to the devil in the House of Commons

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:50 pm 

Wow, I get to be the first player of an unreleased beta version! This is just great! Small wonder that I could never find this game on my own. I will put forth all my gaming abilities in to hunting down all the possible text that I can. Any bugs in the game will be immediately reported back to these forums. Though I have not found any yet and have only just gotten to the world with fruit houses and sneaky foxes.
As far as “debugger”s go…I don’t know anything about that nor do I wish to. So it goes (without saying) I won’t be messing around where I shouldn’t.
Also, I am carefully saving all my equipment for the machine that synthesizes out dated equipment in mid world from characters Edison and Einstein. I have saved every piece of equipment except for one of the first swords you procure, I accidently sold it. I have also bought one of every piece of equipment for the purposes of using aforementioned synthesizer. Thank you for that quest Wildbill :mrgreen:
P.S. Since I have been given the honor of receiving the unreleased beta version of Mystic Ark you may rest assured that I will not (in any way, shape, or form) distribute or make mention of procurement of Mystic Ark. I am using ZNES v1.51 as my emulator. Being that I get to be the first for one to play Mystic Ark (in the sense of random public player) I will give you little periodic updates with the game, flaws or no.
P.S.S. As for Mrs. Palin…you’ll have to step in line…it’s a long line…and you’ll be behind me :mrgreen:

P.S.S.S. Concerning my too hastily spoken comment of graphics, a short explanation:
I was posting about the face graphics in the status menu of the main character. While I was playing I was also posting. When I tabbed between this forum and Mystic Ark, I happened to be in the status menu. So the picture kept srtiking me as off just a little, as it was the visual point my eyes would first see. It seemed a mistake to me, but the mistake was fully mine. For in the elation I was feeling (of finally playing Mystic Ark) I did not consider that the graphics of the main character on the status screen were never really ment for my eyes. I mean (in the sense) that I come from a different culture and the perception (or rather misperception in my case) caused me to speak overly hastily I’m afraid.
So the “misperception” was all mine, but this is what I was mulling over.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:37 am 
Site Admin

Jer wrote:
Wow, I get to be the first player of an unreleased beta version! This is just great! Small wonder that I could never find this game on my own. I will put forth all my gaming abilities in to hunting down all the possible text that I can. Any bugs in the game will be immediately reported back to these forums. Though I have not found any yet and have only just gotten to the world with fruit houses and sneaky foxes.
As far as “debugger”s go…I don’t know anything about that nor do I wish to. So it goes (without saying) I won’t be messing around where I shouldn’t.
Also, I am carefully saving all my equipment for the machine that synthesizes out dated equipment in mid world from characters Edison and Einstein. I have saved every piece of equipment except for one of the first swords you procure, I accidently sold it. I have also bought one of every piece of equipment for the purposes of using aforementioned synthesizer. Thank you for that quest Wildbill :mrgreen:
P.S. Since I have been given the honor of receiving the unreleased beta version of Mystic Ark you may rest assured that I will not (in any way, shape, or form) distribute or make mention of procurement of Mystic Ark. I am using ZNES v1.51 as my emulator. Being that I get to be the first for one to play Mystic Ark (in the sense of random public player) I will give you little periodic updates with the game, flaws or no.
P.S.S. As for Mrs. Palin…you’ll have to step in line…it’s a long line…and you’ll be behind me :mrgreen:

P.S.S.S. Concerning my too hastily spoken comment of graphics, a short explanation:
I was posting about the face graphics in the status menu of the main character. While I was playing I was also posting. When I tabbed between this forum and Mystic Ark, I happened to be in the status menu. So the picture kept srtiking me as off just a little, as it was the visual point my eyes would first see. It seemed a mistake to me, but the mistake was fully mine. For in the elation I was feeling (of finally playing Mystic Ark) I did not consider that the graphics of the main character on the status screen were never really ment for my eyes. I mean (in the sense) that I come from a different culture and the perception (or rather misperception in my case) caused me to speak overly hastily I’m afraid.
So the “misperception” was all mine, but this is what I was mulling over.

Someone as excited about this game as you deserves to play this beta, but bear in mind that the parent version V1.00 has been released and played by many for some time now. We just want to ensure this universal system version is in perfect order before we replace the other patch on our download page. As for the diffiiculties you encountered with the other patches, ROMs, and emulators, hopefully our patching expert, Red Soul, will take note of this thread and help guide you on the tools and processes you need to learn in order to set up a ROM and patch to play on the emulator of your choice. It can be very confusing to navigate through all these technicalities. For some time we have been discussing how we can make our games more user friendly to players in general, not just those who are intimately familiar with the inside information associated with this hobby.

Your inventory will become quite full in time, so for the synthesizer, try to hang on mainly to unusual items that you can't buy in shops.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:03 pm 

I am in a very similar position as the above reader posted. Except I have even worse computer skills. His story is remarkably similar to my own except i'm slightly younger =). What do I need to do before i can load up this game? Any good ideas where to get a solid emulator then to download this game? I'm not a member of any real reliable forums to download something that is prolly safe, any suggestions? Much appreciation for any help!