Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:34 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 3rd Party Member?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:30 am 

I don't want to spoil myself but since the game doesn't come with an manual. I want to make sure this isn't a "glitch" with the game itself.

I have the first two arks (Power and Light), when I infuse both with two different figurines. I only get the first party member I infuse it with and not the second one even though the game registers both arks are infused with those specific character figurines [in my inventory] (also only the 2nd party member appears on my screen as well). Is this a glitch or do I need to play further to get more arks to get the 3rd party member playable in the party?

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: 3rd Party Member?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:37 pm 

Only two arks can breathe life into figurines, Power and Wisdom.
The others are meant to imbue equipment with extra traits,
either added attack or defense, depending whether you infuse
armor or weapons. You can add elemental properties and other
beneficial effects, experiment around ^.^

Edit: Obviously Power ark should be used to infuse melee fighters
like Reeshine and Kamiwoo, while Wisdom should be used for magic/support
fighters like Meisia or Miriene if you are hoping for optimal effects.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:41 am 

AH ok so your saying I can stack two arks at once with figurine to stack bonuses? (1 to use the party member and 1 to give bonuses)
Guess I'll stick with the healer til the next party member. The monk one looks promising but I'm thinking about Lux too.

Thanks for the info.
This game is fun but man some of the puzzles are extremely cryptic/makes no sense.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:01 am 
Site Admin

Yeah, they were so cryptic at times, the team members debated on giving hints in the script. In the end, the consensus was that if the Japanese can do it, the English speakers can to and we left them as is. Some loved it, some not so much heh. You can't please everyone, so we try to please ourselves haha.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:52 am 

Well its not in terms of whether Japanese players or English players can accomplish in a game (Unless you want to talk about Donkey Kong Country were Miamoto said it was 'too easy' of a game). Some players just have that '6th sense' to finding out where to go next (and have all the time in the world to look around -lets face it not everyone has that much leisure time to do so :P). I like open end exploring but a general hint even slight one is a nice gesture. (Example would be finding the bird, I honestly thought those were walls at the shrine and I couldn't go through them. The game doesn't really give a clue 'hey you need to go back to the shrine'). Under this premise now I know I need to backtrack to shrine if I find out this info. Another example would be when entering the 3rd world, reading a sign to saying "make sure you put all the books back" and the idea of open ended searching, even in the most strange places THEN go back and place books to proceed further is that of an adventure game, not an RPG.

I think the developers couldn't make up their minds if they wanted to make an adventure game or an RPG. I've played many games that has tried this angle. I've never found one that actually REALLY worked out. As a gamer my mind is tuned to treat this game like an RPG, not an adventure 'point n click' game. I can see why the combat system is watered down as they were working more towards a more adventure game feeling rather than an RPG feeling.

I enjoy a good puzzle here and there or figuring out where to go. But when it becomes so cryptic (whether I find out the solution myself or look up on a walkthrough) unlike other games it doesn't give me that sense "I feel accomplished! I figured it out!" or "*FACEPALM* why I didn't *I* think of that?" I think I've seen one or two puzzles in Mystic Ark up to this point that gave that feeling, but overall; it doesn't give that feeling for the rest. Course this is my opinion but hey I'd like input into what others feel how (felt accomplished on finishing a puzzle - even it didn't have any sense or relevance).

You guys did a fine job on the translation, I wouldn't change a thing either, as it wasn't the games original concept. The game is fun but it is too cryptic. When you accomplish something, it should make sense upon doing so, Mystic Ark so far has failed at this point. I'll continue playing it though as it is a rare opportunity to play a rare gem such this.

Odd though seeing this is an ENIX game. I've played games from them that gave puzzles but you had some sorta idea what to do or where to go next.

Fact remains making an RPG and turning into an adventure platform (like say Kings Quest V or the 7th Guest) just doesn't mix :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:21 am 

I wouldn't go as far as saying MA has any sort of genre melding.
Compared to games like Myst, Day of the Tentacle and Dig
(true so called "point and click adventures") MA is really light on the issue.

I believe the cryptic nature of the puzzles was meant to
reinforce the atmosphere of each world (you'll
notice that the further you advance) and while I agree
the clues can be lacking, things just click after a while.

Remember, the worlds are highly archetypical representations
of concepts. MA is a game that really forces you to think outside
the box, but its one of the things that make it special - not just
another "gotta save the princess" flick.

We are pleased that you find our work to be of a high standard
as a lot of dedication went into it and this game deserves every
second of work we dedicated to it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:06 am 

Red Soul wrote:
I wouldn't go as far as saying MA has any sort of genre melding.
Compared to games like Myst, Day of the Tentacle and Dig
(true so called "point and click adventures") MA is really light on the issue.

True but it gives that "feeling" of an adventure game rather than an RPG game.

Red Soul wrote:
I believe the cryptic nature of the puzzles was meant to
reinforce the atmosphere of each world (you'll
notice that the further you advance) and while I agree
the clues can be lacking, things just click after a while.

So as I play it should become "second nature" to get use to this format. Eh maybe. I see were you mean by 'reinforced atmosphere' as every world has its own theme (and puzzles in THAT nature makes sense - but still lacking clues [course I'm very early in the game at this point so I'm pre-judging atm.]) In any case, I won't feel bad looking up a walkthrough if I completely stuck and have no idea what I'm doing (and no 'but I've exhausted every solution' doesn't click)

Red Soul wrote:
MA is a game that really forces you to think outside
the box

But isn't that what adventure games are suppose to do? Not role-playing games. I remember Myst that game required you to think outside the box. Giving you little or no data to work with, which is fine, adventure games are suppose to do that. Even the manual to Gabriel Knight: SOTF even suggests to 'do everything' 'try everything'.

Red Soul wrote:
but its one of the things that make it special - not just
another "gotta save the princess" flick.

True that can get old quick, though as early as I am in the game still, it gives off that theme 'gotta stop the bad guy from turning people into wooden dolls' deal. (but any game can do that). I'm more critizing the theme/genre confusion of the game.

The last game I remember that attempted this theme was Konami's "Emphreal Fantasia". It was an RPG that had time traveling theme to it and you had to connect certain elements together. The game gave some general hints on some things but then took a turn around to make you think 'outside the box' and forget that it was an role-playing game to begin with.

Red Soul wrote:
We are pleased that you find our work to be of a high standard
as a lot of dedication went into it and this game deserves every
second of work we dedicated to it.

I can see why this game didn't make it to the states for various reasons. I am glad you guys were able to bring it to the light to us NA players.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:44 am 

Ultimacj wrote:
I can see why this game didn't make it to the states for various reasons. I am glad you guys were able to bring it to the light to us NA players.

I was told that at one point, Enix did consider bringing the game officially overseas, but the idea was scrapped early on;
perhaps they thought the SNES didn't have a lot of life left in it back then.
Does leave you wondering how it would've turned out, somewhat.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:56 am 

Red Soul wrote:
Ultimacj wrote:

I was told that at one point, Enix did consider bringing the game officially overseas, but the idea was scrapped early on;
perhaps they thought the SNES didn't have a lot of life left in it back then.
Does leave you wondering how it would've turned out, somewhat.

Or 7th Saga sales wasn't "high" enough (yes I know no relation to the game but similar game engine) to debut the next game.
I bet if it DID make it to the states it would be renamed 7th Saga II. Unless this game came out late in the SNES life spam and the N64
was making headlines.

Just like with Paladins Quest, great game, but it was one of those games that were under deserved.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:25 am 

Ultimacj wrote:
Or 7th Saga sales wasn't "high" enough (yes I know no relation to the game but similar game engine) to debut the next game.
I bet if it DID make it to the states it would be renamed 7th Saga II. Unless this game came out late in the SNES life spam and the N64
was making headlines.

Just like with Paladins Quest, great game, but it was one of those games that were under deserved.

Yeah, you're probably right, it would have been passed off as 7th Saga 2 (even though it shouldn't)
and heavily butchered, for sure. Good thing D-D made the "localizing" instead hahah.