Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:48 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Lennus ii - a near perfect translation
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:19 pm 

Hi guys,

I have just completed Lennus ii and enjoyed it immensely. The quality of the translation is exceptional. I think the choice of vocabulary and sheer dedication to expressing complicated narratives is nothing short of amazing. I was so moved I had to come here and put a few words down to thank you all.

There must come a point when translating a game of this size and complexity where you feel like taking shortcuts. A few concatenated menu words here; an untranslated graphic there; etc.... but I felt from the minute I started playing this powerful game that your demand for perfection would never waver - and it did not. For that, above all else, I am truly grateful.

I play A LOT of SNES RPGs. I have in turn completed a huge number of them. It is not an exaggeration to state that the quality of translation here eclipses that of any officially localised SNES RPG I've played. I don't know how you guys motivate yourselves to work on these Goliath projects over many years, but I can tell you with some authority that the final outcome in this case is spectacular.

If anyone is reading this and wondering whether or not it's a game worth playing, I would strongly urge you to do so. It is fairly non-linear, has plenty of plot twists, modern graphics, and is not too hard. And this translation is almost certainly better than any official one we would have got back in the late nineties when it was released in Japan.

Again - to Bongo, WildBill, and Draken: I express my most humble thanks for this wonderful piece of work. You have outdone yourselves.

Post subject: Re: Lennus ii - a near perfect translation
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:18 pm 
Site Admin

midget35 wrote:
Hi guys,

I have just completed Lennus ii and enjoyed it immensely. The quality of the translation is exceptional. I think the choice of vocabulary and sheer dedication to expressing complicated narratives is nothing short of amazing. I was so moved I had to come here and put a few words down to thank you all.

There must come a point when translating a game of this size and complexity where you feel like taking shortcuts. A few concatenated menu words here; an untranslated graphic there; etc.... but I felt from the minute I started playing this powerful game that your demand for perfection would never waver - and it did not. For that, above all else, I am truly grateful.

I play A LOT of SNES RPGs. I have in turn completed a huge number of them. It is not an exaggeration to state that the quality of translation here eclipses that of any officially localised SNES RPG I've played. I don't know how you guys motivate yourselves to work on these Goliath projects over many years, but I can tell you with some authority that the final outcome in this case is spectacular.

If anyone is reading this and wondering whether or not it's a game worth playing, I would strongly urge you to do so. It is fairly non-linear, has plenty of plot twists, modern graphics, and is not too hard. And this translation is almost certainly better than any official one we would have got back in the late nineties when it was released in Japan.

Again - to Bongo, WildBill, and Draken: I express my most humble thanks for this wonderful piece of work. You have outdone yourselves.

I am almost speechless. (People around here will tell you, "That'll be the day!") Just a short time ago, a lady said either here or on her YouTube website that Lennus-II was the best RPG she ever played. Looking back, Draken and I were quite enamored with Paladin's Quest back in the previous millennium, and that lent fuel to our near-obsession - a burning itch to play the sequel in English. Bongo`, our super team of translators, our friends from the old J2E group, and many others helped make it possible.

Now, here's what's a bit surprising to me. It's taken several years since we released our patch to hear this level of affirmation that the Lennus story is special. I'm speaking of the Japanese author's concept, not our labors to interpret this installment in his saga. What motivates us to give it the best justice possible through our own resources, I suppose, is partly to show our appreciation to the game series' creators by putting forth our best efforts and being patient in the process. That last aspect is not always easy, however. We get bogged down, at times, to the point that we and the projects seem to languish. Fortunately, though, we're always able to renew ourselves, come back fresh, and put these babies to bed - eventually!

Soon, I will announce on another board that another game on the level of Lennus-II and Mystic Ark jumped overnight from a V0.70 beta to a V0.87 alpha. I have put in roughly seventy hours this past week alone, trying to advance that game from a V0.72 Alpha to a V0.72 Beta, and suddenly, I have a mountain of new work! And all the labors this week were just to bring the game up two beta ticks of second draft semi-polished copy, and I'm still not done with the third of eight characters! God love our translators, though, and throw me in those briar patches any fine Saturday morning before the afternoon football games kickoff, hee-hee!!

This current project I'm speaking of is not quite as complex or long as Lennus-II, but it's concept is quite unique. Since you enjoyed Lennus-II, please stop by again in the future and tell us what you think of Burning Heroes, should you choose to play it. Meanwhile, we all appreciate that you took the time to communicate your thoughts. Visits by folks such as yourself play a huge role in keeping us motivated.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:39 pm 

Lennus 2 was a very special, very fun game to play. I am not sure what makes it great or why I liked it so much, I just. did. I had a blast playing it. Paladins quest was also very good until you got to the high tech area of the game, then I lost a little interest. But with Lennus 2, I basically loved it till the end. It was sad to make it to the end, and I put some distance between myself and the game cause I knew it was the end, but besides that, it is almost criminal Lennus 2 never came to America. The graphical style, while similar to PQ, is a much better style and superior presentation, unforgettable music and of course, a translation that makes the game easily engaging! Very, very good job!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:10 pm 
Site Admin

DoubleDvideogames wrote:
Lennus 2 was a very special, very fun game to play. I am not sure what makes it great or why I liked it so much, I just. did. I had a blast playing it. Paladins quest was also very good until you got to the high tech area of the game, then I lost a little interest. But with Lennus 2, I basically loved it till the end. It was sad to make it to the end, and I put some distance between myself and the game cause I knew it was the end, but besides that, it is almost criminal Lennus 2 never came to America. The graphical style, while similar to PQ, is a much better style and superior presentation, unforgettable music and of course, a translation that makes the game easily engaging! Very, very good job!
Appreciate the f/b, but the end of Lennus-II was also high tech with robotic enemies, etc. What made it work for you in the sequel?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:33 am 

Just finished the game too, and I especially like the translation. Midget35 said everything I wanted to say, it's perfect. Now Slayers is currently underway...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:14 pm 
Site Admin

Glad you liked it!! So, so, so many sleepless nights (literally) went into that game :)
I'm still really proud of what we accomplished. Go team! :P

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:48 am 
Site Admin

Draken wrote:
Glad you liked it!! So, so, so many sleepless nights (literally) went into that game :)
I'm still really proud of what we accomplished. Go team! :P

that game is special to me because it re-launch the group and look what it has led to? :)